Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
yerb

Lenovo Thinkpad R61 motherboard replacement due to failed Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphic card

[ Edited ]

Hi,

This is a long post, but it is morally important for all of us. I probably need an expert answer on this one.

I own a R61 laptop with Nvidia graphic card which failed and now I have to replace the motherboard.

I know that If I put in a new R61 motherboard the problem is not solved but rather delayed because it will reappear at some point in the future (aprox.. 4 years). The faulty Nvidia GPU will fail again due to the same generic factory fault.

My most recent idea is that I would be better off with replacing R61 motherboard with R61i motherboard. The R61i model uses Intel graphic card which doesn't have a problem. Is it possible to fit R61i motherboard into the R61 chassis?

My model has a 15,4 inch monitor with native resolution 1680x1050. Can Intel graphic card satisfy the requirement?

Currently I fight a battle to get a free (out of warranty) motherboard replacement due to a generic factory fault now disclosed by Nvidia itself for the GPU which my motherboard contains. Lenovo still says that the number of cases for R61 model is too low for them to do anything about it, even while the T61 model with the same problem is valid for motherboard replacement.

After 4 years of use these GPUs are beginning to fail. One can find user reports all over the internet. Even this forum has a growing number of posts regarding the same problem. The timing probably depends on the amount of use of the laptop. Please consider the fact that this generic problem in the R61 laptops is not limited only to Lenovo products but to other manufacturer products which have integrated the same Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphic card (Apple, HP, Compaq,...). The truth is out now and this issue should be seriously considered.

A mighty corporation like Lenovo should do more to keep their end users happy. After all... The lost money will be returned back from original GPU manufacturer after a couple of lawsuits anyway. I do not know why this is such a problem. Probably the number of failed GPUs will rapidly increase in a very near future. Time is Lenovo's ally for now, because as this system gets older many R61 users will probably buy a new laptop anyway but it is not very likely that they will buy another Lenovo product.

BTW:

The service technician tells me that the price for a now motherboard in Europe is an outrageous 400+ EURO which is near $530 (service costs not included). How is it possible that it costs almost as much as a new laptop. Is this a practical joke or just a customer deterrent.

I will demand answers and I will press Lenovo to do the right thing this is a clear moral obligation. I am strongly provoked by any kind of ignorance and will not rest until this case is resolved.

Thanx in advance for any useful answers.

Yerb.

What's DOS?
lenovo_worry

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad OUR motherboard replacement due to failed Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphic card

I totally agree with you.I got my motherboard replaced a year ago in warranty and now I am facing same problems again.

Infact by your post only,I came to know this is a factory fault and lenovo has a moral obligation towards its customers.

Motherboard replacement cost is just ridiculously high and there is no use in getting it replaced if this is a recurring problem.

In 3.5 years of my lenovo experience,I have got replaced almost every part of it.Till now it was in 3 year warranty due to which I did not realise the bad quality.

What's DOS?
lenovo_worry

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad OUR motherboard replacement due to failed Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphic card

I will also press lenovo to do the right thing and keep on updating me about your efforts.

Paper Tape
spilja

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad R61 motherboard replacement due to failed Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphic card

Who did you contact about getting a replacement MBO? I have an out of warranty R61 with a faulty nVidia GPU. A replacement motherboard costs about $700 in Croatia which is ridiculous. I'd also like to contact Lenovo and ask for a replacement motherboard.

Blue Screen Again
yerb

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad R61 motherboard replacement due to failed Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphic card

[ Edited ]

I called Lenovo representative in Slovenia. He told me that he will call me back on it, but it has been 3 weeks now and there I haven't received any call so far. He also said that he will contact the service where my laptop was diagnosed and is just sitting there for a month now.

Is any Lenovo person here on the forums or are we getting ignored here too?

Bit Torrent
Vince69

Hello mate,

Switching motherboard beetween the R61 and R61i is normally possible, Check the part number there : http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42x3749_02.pdf

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Fanfold Paper
vitaliy

Betreff: Lenovo Thinkpad R61 motherboard replacement due to failed Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphic ca

Hi Yerb,

how is your battle for the motherboard replacement? last year i had the same issue with the nvidia gpu, it worked only 2,5 years (!!!) while i've been working for half a year to get one of the latest ibms (i was student).... as far as i understood the replacement program for T61 experiencing the same gpu problem was extended untill 31 of March 2011... but  no such prog was started for R61 with the same gpu...

Paper Tape
igiwardog

Yes I agree with everything said,

My R61 (8918-5QG) died yesterday with the ugly one long,two short beep problem after 3 years and almost six months.

You are 100 % correct when you say (see bold)

yerb wrote:

A mighty corporation like Lenovo should do more to keep their end users happy. After all... The lost money will be returned back from original GPU manufacturer after a couple of lawsuits anyway. I do not know why this is such a problem. Probably the number of failed GPUs will rapidly increase in a very near future. Time is Lenovo's ally for now, because as this system gets older many R61 users will probably buy a new laptop anyway but it is not very likely that they will buy another Lenovo product.

I was in a process of searching for a suitable replacement even before the laptop died but I was primary looking at Thinkpads...Now because of this I'm not so sure anymore.

Almost all my laptops (3) had discrete graphics and all (3) and I mean all of them died from some problem with the GPU and now I'm adding R61 to that list. I'm beginning to wonder is discrete graphics a way to go for my next laptop.

And I would also like to add my outrage for the asked service and parts prices.

Thanks,

Paper Tape
elwood32

7743-CTO-B1-06 [ThinkPad R61, Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz/3 MB, FSB 800 MHz]

(FRU 42W7844 OR 42W7870)

Hello all,

I had purchased the above R61 with the Nvidia chipset as well about a year ago. The laptop started freezing, shutting off sometimes and displaying lines through the screen and making some weird noises as well at times. After reloading different OS's and every different display adapter with no luck im sure the board has to be replaced.

My question would be, can this be replaced with an intel chipset does anyone think as I can't see myself purchasing the same garbage nvidia chipset for this laptop:

FRU: 42W7733-06 System board assembly, Int 940GML with wireless LAN (15.0-in.) OA2 for ThinkPad R60, R60e, R61, R61i

Looking forward to the response.