Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
yogesh88

Re: NEW Battery Tip - Applicable to some T, X, R ThinkPad models and batteries

mark sir, i am using r61 series leptop . my battery no is 42t5256. and i have purchased my system before 14 months ago.but my battery is giving problem. it  is showing good condition but i is giving 45 mins backup and the massage is showing about battery is Your battery can only store 43% of its original full charge capacity.

90W AC adapter is attached. 

i have called several times ur coustmer care in india. but they didn't support me during warrenty period. a lot of complaint regarding same issue is there in india.

plz help us to fix this problem...........................................

and the given battery no is not in ur battery recall list

yogesh

yogee93cool@gmail.com

Blue Screen Again
uflash

Hi,

You are saying that only a limited number of users are reporting battery problem. I quick search will show 100s of users having the same problem with different thinkpad models and battery. The bigger issue is that none of us qualify for the free replacement. I own a R61-Batt FRU 41T5229.

There must be something wrong with one of the lenovo software updates. My battery was perfect and a few days just after my upgrades... 100% CHARGED, Battery cannot be charge, replace blah blah....

Lithium batteries dont just die. Unless there is an electrical failure ie. short circuit (good engineering should protect for this) once should observed a reduction of charge capacity or overheating of the battery at least as an indication of battery failure. Most of the posts I found there is no mention of either issue.

Could you please point at me to a good explanation of how a battery die literally "over-night"

regards,

Joseph Lockhart

Punch Card
meena

I have the same problem, my FRU 42T4504 battery just suddenly died giving me a message "Battery cannot be charged". I called Lenovo and they refused to replace it because it is not part of their recall. I am was advised by a friend to either file a small claims against lenovo and/or a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. There seems to be other people with this same issue who have a FRU 42T4504 battery. What can be done?

thx

Paper Tape
kirkv37

I have the same machine and battery and it did exactly the same thing, died right after I installed a lenovo software update for power manager. Have tried everything from removing the update, to completely removing Lenovo power manager, to upgrading to latest software, even installed productivity and message center per Lenovo rep and cleared messages per their instructions. Called back and talked to a second tech (first one lost connection and they never did call back) to say none of the tricks worked, but they just stated it is old and needs to be replaced.

I agree batteries just dont die over night, they loss their ability to hold a charge over time. I was still able to use the battery for a full 2.5 hours the day before the update with no problems. The power manager states over 50% life left, as does the Lenovo system toolbox, which I can run a test and it comes back as 100% charged and 52% life left in battery. There is comminication with the battery and the system but there is an error not allowing it to use the battery to power the machine.

Anyone have any suggestions before I end up buying a new battery.

Blue Screen Again
uflash

Hi,

One of the moderator said Lenovo is looking into this issue. For now I'm giving them time. I don't suggest buying a new battery until we are clear on the failure mode. If in deed was a software bug, then it may kill the new battery too! Feel free to contact the moderator with your observations, they are much better than waiting for technical assistance by calling Lenovo.

Good luck,

Joseph

kirkv37 wrote:

I have the same machine and battery and it did exactly the same thing, died right after I installed a lenovo software update for power manager. Have tried everything from removing the update, to completely removing Lenovo power manager, to upgrading to latest software, even installed productivity and message center per Lenovo rep and cleared messages per their instructions. Called back and talked to a second tech (first one lost connection and they never did call back) to say none of the tricks worked, but they just stated it is old and needs to be replaced.

I agree batteries just dont die over night, they loss their ability to hold a charge over time. I was still able to use the battery for a full 2.5 hours the day before the update with no problems. The power manager states over 50% life left, as does the Lenovo system toolbox, which I can run a test and it comes back as 100% charged and 52% life left in battery. There is comminication with the battery and the system but there is an error not allowing it to use the battery to power the machine.

Anyone have any suggestions before I end up buying a new battery.

Paper Tape
dan79

thanks that was helpful.  BUt why is lenovo not recalling my battery 42t4511 on a R61 (not T) I got the same problem the battery was working good then it is so poor it stops charging.  I see no support for out of warranty laptops, but I believe it is a major mistake not to replace poor design products sold.

Blue Screen Again
uflash

"preaching to the choir"

No much option other than keep calling customer service :/

dan79 wrote:

thanks that was helpful.  BUt why is lenovo not recalling my battery 42t4511 on a R61 (not T) I got the same problem the battery was working good then it is so poor it stops charging.  I see no support for out of warranty laptops, but I believe it is a major mistake not to replace poor design products sold.

What's DOS?
emeghann07cc

I have the 42T4504 battery as well. I got the same error message yesterday. Seems like a lot of others are experiencing the same problem. what should we do Mark_Lenovo??????

Paper Tape
lipekgogo

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem (FRU 42T4504 in R61i) and I don't know, what should I do.. Please, help me, because in Poland Lenovo don't provide phone service.

Blue Screen Again
treydur

add 42T4511 from a T61p (Sanyo of course) was working perfectly, then suddenly died. Seems more like circuitry error than battery cell use/depletion. Id like to not spend another $100 on a battery

please add me to list !