Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Hill

Re: NEW Battery Tip - Applicable to some T, X, R ThinkPad models and batteries

[ Edited ]

I have this SANYO battery with the famous 42T4504 FRU part number. Suddenly it just stopped working. One day I was working on battery for a couple of hours and the next day it looks if not dead then certainly in coma.

Power Manager says:

"The battery has failed due to normal wear. The battery cannot be charged. Replace the battery."

Remaining percentage: 75%
Remaining time: -
Remaining capacity: 27.41 Wh
Full charge capacity: 37.04 Wh
Current: 0.00 A
Voltage: 11.72 V
Wattage: -
Temperature: 31 C
Cycle count: 9 (yes, I'm almost always using AC adapter)
Design capacity: 56.16 Wh
Design voltage: 10.80 V

This wasn't a "normal wear" for sure. The battery is charged, 75%, but laptop is refusing it and is working only with AC adapter attached.

Fanfold Paper
spdewan

I also want to share my experience here.. I believe lenovo is mistaken about the battery part numbers recalled. I have same model R61 and and I same symptoms. My battery reduces hold time so fast that i can notice every day and now suddenly it stoped working. This laptop and battery is only 1.5 year old and battery is gone..

There are 50 replies to this recall thread and all have the same problem with different part number. I dont know if lenovo is going to do some thing for all those ppl. ? I am using thinkpad since last 10 years now but my current experience is horrible and I will think about buying a thinkpad twice this time

R61 WideScreen, T8100 2.1Ghz, 2GB, Blue tooth, 6 cell, Win XP Pro
Blue Screen Again
uflash

The famous quote "A limited number of ThinkPad users have reported the following symptoms:" from the moderator.

If you look for my communications with Lenovo starting last year; you will see an extensive investigation I performed of my battery failure. Same as most of you I saw my battery slowy discharge from 98% charge to nothing! 

It comes down to this:

LENOVO DOES NOT GIVE A Sxxx ABOUT YOU AND ME, UNLESS WE REPRESENT A COORPORATION"

I was told that by them! clear and cut! Leaving all of you with this message to think about it next time you decide to buy a Lenovo product. For the record I've being using Thinkpad for over 10 years! All good runs come to an END! at some point.

Thanks,

Joseph

Fanfold Paper
jimkellycpa

I will defer ordering a replacement for my R60 - looking at a t500,

and my dell4700 - thinking of a thinkcenter m55? of 85?
until I hear back in this forum from IBM - this is clearly a problem with the system that is killing these batteries

I have been buying thinkpads since the 360 - and have had 5-6 myself and bought 100+ for companies I have worked for as a cfo

I still have my first pc _ purchased in 1982 at a cost of 3500 - doesn't work, but a good conversation piece

came with a shrinked wrapped visicalc ver 1.0 - still in the original shrink wrap

I have been a small customer - but a loyal one

Jim Kelly CPA

Paper Tape
dan79

Other than lenovo, can we assume it is only the battery?  I got a new sanyo battery and my lap top does not charge it has one cycle and the laptop claims it is condition is good.  The status has been no activity.  I tried unplugging the battery and AC power then pressing the power button.  NO LUCK.  3 dead batteries?  My old battery had above   30% remaining in November now it is 2% ( so a cell went bad okay maybe normal).  Another used OEM battery did not charge so I send it back (thought seller was selling bad battery).  Now a 3rd party battery that is new does not charge.  All are sanyo.  So is lenovo laptop have a faulty motherboard or just bad batteries.  I exclude OS since window and linux don't charge the battery.

I am tired of excuses from lenovo.  If a car manufactor sells bad tires then they changes the tires (or at least offer a spare tire in luxury models).  I payed for a luxury battery (9volts) not std battery (6volts) so I expected the battery to last longer.   So if lenovo sells cars they would tell me the tires are the same after I spend 20% more than standard? Does lenovo even know if it is the 3rd party battery or the bad motherboard?  All I know is no more bussiness with lenovo from me.  Since I can buy "tires" every day and the "Oem rims" have sharp edges, but the seller is saying tires pop varies ways.

It is just not right. 

Paper Tape
drachen9d8

Hi Mark. I am running a R61 and received the battery irreparable message at 92% charge. The battery light flashes orange when connected, and wil not charge.

My FRU is 42t5262

Can anything be done about this?

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,323
Solutions: 285

[ Edited ]

dan79,

I'm not sure I understand your arguement?  You are using 3rd party batteries and they aren't working reliably?

If that is the case, I would recommend that you try a Lenovo battery - then, if it doesn't work, your system board is most likely at fault.   I've not seen that many problems with the charging circuit - most often the battery.

On the point of 9 cell vs 6 cell - that is just a statement of the number of cells and the total capacity of the battery in watt hours per charge - it has nothing to do with the expected lifespan of the battery.  A 9 cell is not particularly more or less likely to outlast a 6 cell (in terms of expected life, average number of charge cycles before a failure, etc).   It is more expensive because it contains 50% more cells.

drachen9d8,

Please see my PM for additional advice, but generally if your battery is beyond the 1 year warranty, and it isn't one of the included part numbers,  you may need to consider a replacement battery.   Replacements sold as Options may be more economical than purchasing service parts.

Please do check for the PM and reply there.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
Ra2010

Hello,

about 2 weeks ago, i had same problem, with my thinkpad battery. I sucessfully ran the automated solution, an recieved an email that told me, that i would be eligible for battery recall. A new battery would be sent to me. Since that i didn´t hear anything from Lenovo, no battery was send. German support couldn´t help me. Is there any way to get further information? Any contact adress or anything like that? It would be nice to know if there is any chance to get the promised replacement battery or if there is no chane.

Best regards,

Ra2010

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Ra2010 wrote:

Hello,

about 2 weeks ago, i had same problem, with my thinkpad battery. I sucessfully ran the automated solution, an recieved an email that told me, that i would be eligible for battery recall. A new battery would be sent to me. Since that i didn´t hear anything from Lenovo, no battery was send. German support couldn´t help me. Is there any way to get further information? Any contact adress or anything like that? It would be nice to know if there is any chance to get the promised replacement battery or if there is no chane.

Best regards,

Ra2010

you should be given a special tracking number, you can use that to track the battery shipping. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
Ra2010

@lead_org

I got a confirmation number in that form: 12345678.

I doesn´t seem to be a real tracking number, and i don´t know where i could use it to track the shipping.

Any hints?