Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
jblaze
Accepted Solution

Need Driver Help - R51 2883

[ Edited ]

I just did a Win XP Pro clean install on an IBM Thinkpad R51 2883 and am missing a lot of drivers. Once done i tried to go online and couild not. Device Manager does not see any of my Network Adapters. In Device Manager I  have yellow ?`s on the following: in this order: Other Devices, Base System Device,Base System Device,Ethernet Controller,Multimedia Audio Controller, Network Cotroller,PCI Modem,SM Bus Controller,Unknown Device,Video Controller,and Video Controller(VGA compatible). Can anyone tell me which are the correct drivers that i need and how i can put them in the laptop seeing that i cannot connect to the internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Moderator Note; system added to subject

Fanfold Paper
jasonbolton

Re: Need Driver Help - R51 2883

If you are able to download using another PC and can then copy to a CD, the link below is for the correct driver for Win XP Pro for the MT 2883 R51.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/1urc13ww.exe

Once you have that installed I would download Thinkvantage System Update from the next link and run it to pull down all of the other drivers for your machine.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/systemupdate314-2010-10-29.exe 

Regards

Jason Bolton

Bolton-Wand Computers Ltd - www.bwcl.co.uk

UK Lenovo Partner

Paper Tape
jblaze

Mr Bolton, First i want to thank you for your suggestion. I was able to download the Ethernet Driver and ThinkVantage Systems Update files onto a USB Flash drive which in turn I was able to put them in a folder on my C: drive.

Now here is were i stand, I have two problems:1st) After the InstallShield Wizard finished with the Ethernet Driver it tells me that clickin "Finish" does not start the installation proccess and to Refer to the installation instructions. I see that i have the files on my computer but they have not been installed because i still cannot connect to the internet and when i go back into Device Manager i still have all those yellow ? i previously told you about. Were are those installation instructions? 2nd)after the InstallShield Wizard finishes with the ThinkVantage System Update it tells me "ThinkVantage System Update could not find a supported.Net Framework". Can you Please Help me!! I am lost!! Thank You for any help you can give me.

Fanfold Paper
jasonbolton

Sorry, forgot to give you the link to the Instructions file

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/1urc13ww.txt

Let me know if you need further help on this.

Once you have got the network driver installed and working.  Go to Windows Updates (Start, All Programs, Windows Updates (should be near the top).), click on Custom and install all updates, except any that appear in the Hardware Updates section We will use Thinkvantage System Updates for that once the OS is up to date.).

Regards

Jason

www.bwcl.co.uk

Paper Tape
jblaze

Thank`s Jason. I am having problems trying to determine which version of the device driver is installed on my  system when following  the instructions you sent me. When I right cick on "My Computer" I don`t have a "Find"
 field showing. Also, how do I extract the package onto the hard drive so that I may do a manual Install.

Fanfold Paper
jasonbolton

Go to device manager and remove Ethernet Controller, then reboot and follow the instructions below.  The system should detect New Hardware on reboot and you should be able to go through the steps below.  Ignore steps 1 and 2 because you should have already completed this.

1. Start Windows XP and logon with administrative privileges.
  2. Extract this package onto your hard drive.
  3. It displays Found New Hardware Wizard dialog box.
  4. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced).
  5. Click Next in Found New Hardware Wizard dialog box.
  6. Select Search for the best driver in these locations. and Include this
     location in the search: only.
  7. Specify the path to the following sub-directory with the full path name
     where you extracted the package in step 2 in Include this location in the
     search:.
       \PRO100\WS03XP32
  8. Click Next. The driver installation starts.
  9. Click Finish  when the installation completes.

Paper Tape
jblaze

Thanks Jason i was able to install the Ethernet Controller and get online and do the windows update, but i still cannot install the Thinkvantage System Updates, it keeps coming up saying Thinkvantage System Update could not find a supported .Net Framework.

Fanfold Paper
jasonbolton

Hi

Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 with Service Pack 1 or Microsoft
.NET Framework version 2.0 is required for System Update to work
correctly.

If you need to check what you have installed, go to Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and check the versions of .Net Framework. 

Here is a link to .Net Framework 2 from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=19

Regards

Jason

Paper Tape
jblaze

Hi Jason, at this time I would like to thank you for all your help and tech support. I downloaded .NET Framework 2 from Microsoft then was able to download Thinkvantage System Update  and update my entire system and all drivers. I have no more yellow? marks on device manager and everything is up and running perfect. I even learned a few things while doing it.. You the man! Again, Thank You for all your help!

Fanfold Paper
jasonbolton

Your welcome