Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
extin

R50 - mobile broadband?

Hi,

I was wondering whether my R50 laptop can support mobile broadband. I have tried to insert a Three dongle but nothing happens. The laptop has recently had a major problem and the software has been returned to factory settings a number of times. So I don't know whether a driver is required and it has not been put back on or whether the laptop is just too old?

Thanks

Extin

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: R50 - mobile broadband?

hey extin,

welcome to the forums.

hard for me to say if a driver is needed or not. The unit of yours, is it running on XP on Win7 ?

If it is on XP, a high chance you may need a driver. I would then suggest that you get in contact with the mobile broadband vendor and check with them.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Paper Tape
extin

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you but my other PC can access the dongle for the software to install but not the laptop. I have also got probem with the CD/DVD unit - it can read discs but doesn't play them.

My system is running on XP.

Please can someone help?

Guru
Mornsgrans

I guess, that you tried a USB broadband dongle.

What about ohter USB devices? Do you get a message, that your USB device can work faster, if you'll connect it to an USB 2.0 port?

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Paper Tape
extin

Hi,

The usb ports don't seem to be working. Doesn't detect an ipod when it is linked up.

I thought that Ihad downloaded all of the necessary drivers. Laptop says usb ports ok.

Extin

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 801

Boot from a "live" Linux CD and verify whether the ports work there.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Paper Tape
extin

Hi,

Thanks to Lenovo Toolkit - usbs working - all software uploaded but still have problems. The connection seems to just say connecting and then nothing happens. If I try to restart the laptop it gets stuck on saving settings and stalls. The laptop is picking up the modem as being inserted but it just doen's seem to connect to it.

I have a usb dongle for 3 and it is paid up to date. It works on my other PC.

Can any one help?

Thanks

Extin