Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
kw0815

R500 USB connectors broken

2 out of 3 USB connectors are broken inside.

Since 1 week out of warranty, fantastic :-(

Can these be replaced? Soldering is no problem. Where can i find the parts? In the part list its not listed

Thanks!

Community Moderator
richk

Re: R500 USB connectors broken

Parts like that can be nearly impossible to find. They will not be available from Lenovo. They may be custom parts that are not available at all. I look at the pieces and look for part numbers, then try to find them at a big electronics place like Mouser. Usually I try to harvest them from a similar board with other problems. On larger components, like your USB ports, you really need a computer-controlled rework station and a preheater to move the parts.
HDMI
tresho

I have no help to broken internal USB ports.  However you can add new ports using the ExpressCard or PC card interface slots on your R500.  You can buy adapter cards that plug into either interface & provide extra USB ports.

Here's one example.

There are many others.

Bit Torrent
Vince69

Hello mate,

If you just 1 week out of warranty you can still extend your warranty and send it to repair.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Punch Card
vi3t69

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Faulty-Lenovo-Hardware-USB-ports/td-p/185296 go to this forum. they havent really fix the problems. after 4 months use, another usb port in my laptop broke.What a joke of a quality workmanship. . they helped me when my warranty expires, although you probably have broken usb ports within a few months. this is my 3rd motherboard.Lenovo makes such inferior products, wont be buying any more laptop from them.
Blue Screen Again
pclenovo

Same problem with R500 usb ports.

I purchased an R500, my first of two Lenovo laptops I currently use, and I am now having usb hardware problems with the R500.   I currently have two broken USB ports.  The first broke over a year ago when I removed a flash drive and the plastic piece attached to the usb port came off with it.   The second broken USB was one when the plastic piece just fell off.  I am now down to my last port and am quite  concered about the future use of this laptop.

I have owned more than a dozen laptops including other ThinkPads and never had even one broken usb port.   So, I went onto this Lenovo forum to see if there was a solution and found a lot of people saying they had the same problem.   This laptop is my main computer now and a final usb failure would be quite a major problem for my small business.
You know I really like this computer, but this issue may mean no more lenovo for me. 

Maybe a lenovo admin (Mr. Hopkins??) may offer a solution that does not require me to buy a new motherboard for what appears to be a manufacturing weakness.