Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Never2Many
Accepted Solution

R500: Won't boot past the logo screen

[ Edited ]

Hi, I'm not able to get past the initial logo screen. It just hangs, pressing the blue thinkvantage button does nothing. F12 likewise. Not able to get any sort of boot menu. Bootable CD in drive lights flash, no boot.

Have tried:

Reseating hard drive

Reseating Dimms, swapping and plugging in one at a time

Removed battery and held power switch down to discharge

No help SOS

This is a type 2714-CTO R500 any help would be greatly appreciated 

moderator note: subject line adjusted.

Retired Guru
fmyhr

Re: R500: Won't boot past the logo screen

Hi Never2Many,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum!

Sorry to hear of your trouble with your R500. You have already tried almost everything that might help. Here are the various ThinkPad resuscitation recipes I've seen. One last thing you could try is removing the CMOS backup battery as per this recipe. If that doesn't help either, I think it's time to call Service.

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Fanfold Paper
Never2Many

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply Frank, Now for the rest of the story. This is my wife’s work laptop, she uses it in the office and takes it with her on sales appointments so she was really freaking that it was broke. I had repeatedly asked if anything unusual had happened prior or around the time of this problem all replies were negative.

Late last night she mentioned if I ever got it working that I may want to look at the USB ports, that she had a hard time plugging the printer USB cable into it and after it wouldn't’t boot and she went to unplugged it, it was very loose.

Upon examining the socket I found the orientation tab missing and the contacts pushed to the bottom of the socket shorting out each other. I was able to separate them and gee guess what, everything worked just fine.

I re-explained that the “If it don’t fit force it” rule does not apply to computers. :smileymad:

Has anyone replaced the USB sockets on one of these units?  Are they soldered or plugged in?

Thanks for replying

Admin EDIT -  See related KB article  (derived from the discussions) that summarizes the the broken USB port with shorted connections causing the boot hang.  Contact service for assistance with a broken USB port.

andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 680
Solutions: 609

They are soldered onto the mainboard. You'll need to find someone who can do a board level repair or get a new mainboard. Another option would be to ensure the contacts can't short and live with one less usb port.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Fanfold Paper
Never2Many

Yep Andy, I think this would be the easiest option. I'll just put some shrink tubing on the contacts to keep them from shorting out again and perhaps inject a little epoxy into the socket just to hold everything tight. If she needs more than the two remaining ports I'll just pick up a hub.

Thanks

Mike

Fanfold Paper
rusticdog

[ Edited ]

Legendary Mike/Andy.   Girlfriends laptop was doing the exact same thing and your post put us in the right direction.   A pair of tweezers and some small hollow speaker cable and it's back up running.  Not quite as fancy as shrink tubing and epoxy though :smileywink:

I'd be surprised if she forced the mouse USB too hard to break the orientation pin, she's usually quite careful about such things, but at least we've saved potential lost time.

What's DOS?
wightbri

[ Edited ]

Thanks Never2Many

Your USB problems have saved the Isle of Wight Council the price of a new laptop

Fanfold Paper
Never2Many

Glad my post was able to help others.

I am beginning to think that I unjustly accused my wife of forcing the USB port and breaking it. She had a second one break the other day and swears she did not force anything. She has been using laptops forever as have I and never have experienced this sort of problem with one port let alone two on the same machine. Me thinks Lenovo has a problem and won't admit it. I found another post (on this forum) where people have had the same problem, broken USB ports and Lenovo refuses to repair the problem under warranty claiming abuse.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Faulty-Lenovo-Hardware-USB-ports/td-p/185296

Wonder how many others have had the same problem and not left a post? Has anyone ever broken a USB port on any other computer laptop or desktop? Not Me!

Fanfold Paper
rusticdog

Girlfriend has never broken any ever on other machines and two managed to break on the Lenovo laptop.   We sent it for repair in the end just before the warranty expired just in case, that and the machine only had the 3 USB ports, so she was down to her last   :smileyhappy:

They did however repair under warranty also...still took 6 weeks to get the unit back, despite their promise of 4 days.

It's unreasonable to cite abuse without physiically inspecting the machine.  If there is other damage or excessive wear in the housing of the guiding pin in the USB port, then perhaps that is quite possible.   But in our situation they just plain broke.  There was no abuse...

What's DOS?
mjchat

Here's another person that this post helped. Someone "abused" the USB port and it had a broken guide and 1 pin touching the outside casing of the port shorting out the system. Bent the pin back taped off the broken port and everything is fine and dandy. Thanks.