Support in other languages: 
blm
Paper Tape
blm

R51 (built in 2004) hard drive replacement questions

I own a 2004-built IBM Thinkpad R51, machine 2895 type AU3. It's original hard drive is 80 GB in size and may need replacement. Here are my questions about replacement of the drive:

1) How large a replacement drive can I install in it, and is the drive size determined by and stated somewhere in the BIOS?

2) Is a SATA hard drive suitable for my now 8 year old laptop or were hard drives for laptops always SATA no matter the age of the laptop?

3) Can any brand of hard drive go into my laptop?

[My OS is Linux MEPIS 11, variety Roadblock -32 bit.]

Thanks

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 792

Re: R51 (built in 2004) hard drive replacement questions

Your R51 takes PATA/IDE, not SATA hard drives.

The largest PATA laptop drive is WD 320GB/5400rpm which will work just fine in your machine, there is no known BIOS limit on HD size for R5x series.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
blm
Paper Tape
blm

R51 hard drive replacement: any spin speed OK?

Thanks for your help the other day.

You told me about the largest size HD that would be fine for my 2004-built R51. I assume by largest you meant capacity (i. e. GB) and not spin speed. Yes? Is any hard disk drive spin speed OK for my laptop? My failed/failing one is 4200 RPM and was installed by IBM when the laptop was built. [I figure a faster spinning one will just take a bit more electricity to spin than the one I have now, but I also figure that probably tiny amount is not so important.]

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 792

Re: R51 hard drive replacement: any spin speed OK?

Spin speed is a non-issue here as far as compatibility is concerned. I've had 7200rpm drives in R51s - while those were still available - and the power consumption was fine.

Not that you have much of a choice anyway, since most of the manufacturers have discontinued the production of PATA/IDE laptop drives. WD is pretty much the only game in town nowadays.

Happy upgrading.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.