Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Pascal-MUC

R52 1860 and new harddisk

Hi,

I do have problems installing a new harddisk into this laptop.

I am looking for a list of certified harddisks for this IBM Thinkpad R52 6GG

Does anybody know where I can get this list and where I can find any specific system / BIOS update in order to use harddisks with a bigger capacity.

Thank you

Pascal

ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 732

Re: R52 1860 and new harddisk

Welcome to the forum!

The list that you're looking for does not exist. R52 (as well as T43/p and X41) will bark at most non-IBM hard drives. However, I've installed Fujitsu 120GB and 160GB hard drives without triggering the error.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Paper Tape
Pascal-MUC

Hello George,

thanks for your quick answer, but it doesn´t really help.

I am trying to build in a Seagate HDD with 100 GB.

I´ve tried a Toshiba and Hitachi with 80 GB.

They are all not recognised by the onboard system.

The Lenovo support told me according to my serial number there is no support for this notebook, which is unbelievable.

After a while they told me there is only paid support available.

After another long discussion they told me about this update option and list, which harddrives are supported,

but she didn´t tell me where I can find this list.

The harddisk I am currently using is also not supported and does not support the power/energy function e.g. sleep mode ....

So mayby / hopefully somebody else know how to solve this problem in a cheap customer friendly way.

Thanks anyway

Pascal

andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 680
Solutions: 610

Pascal-MUC wrote:

They are all not recognised by the onboard system.

Are you trying the drives with the metal caddy attached? In alot of cases the drives will not be recognised without the caddy.

Please also see this thread

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

ajkula66

Pascal,

These drives that you've been testing must have been mis-alligned or not inserted properly, otherwise they would have been recognized by the BIOS and barked at with a "2010 error". There's no if, and or but about this...and it takes 1/10 of a mm for a drive not to be "seen" by BIOS.

Whoever told you what they told you needs to be re-trained. Period.

If you visit TPF, you'll see that people are running all types of drives on R52 units, and with no issues, apart from the "2010 error" triggered by non-OEM drives, except for Fujitsu. 

Good luck and keep us posted

Cheers,

George

F = FrankenPad

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Paper Tape
Pascal-MUC

of course I am using the metal caddy and the harddisk is also working.

but only if I press the "Escape key" and then the sleep mode and all other energy option do not work

as it switches off without any prewarning :-(

So nobody know of such a list which harddisks are certified and tested by IBM or Lenovo?

thanks

Pascal

ajkula66

OK, now we're getting somewhere...

The only disks that will certainly work are OEM-IBM/Lenovo with a FRU number. On all the others, inlcuding but not limited to Hitachi, firmware updates may or may not work. There are no updates for Seagate drives.

As I've previously stated, a number of people (myself included) have installed the latest generation of Fujitsu 100/120/160GB hard drives on T43/p and R52 units without any issues related to boot error, or power management, or for that fact anything else.

I've ran a Seagate drive (with an error on the boot) on a variety of T43/p units which are identical to R52 machines on the inside, and have never had the issue of machine shutting down on me without warning... 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers,

George

F = FrankenPad

andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 680
Solutions: 610

You can find the list of Hard Drive Options for the R52 here.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
Pascal-MUC

Hi Andy,

thank you for this link, but it doesn´t really tell what type of harddisk I can use except the fact which size.

I would like to know the models which are supported.

As I`ve already said I am using currently a Seagate harddisk with 100 GB which works fine in general,

but if I start the laptop I have to press either F1 or the ESC key.

I´ve changed the settings in the BIOS not to stop at any error so it starts to continue without pressing the ESC key, which would be good, but the problem with the suspend or sleep mode is still alive.

So what I´ve learnt has been the fact that is correlated with not recognizing the harddisk correctly, therefore I am looking for the table of the supported harddisks.

If anybody knows a way around would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thank you

Pascal

PS: Sorry boys I am a girl and blonde and not a technical engineer, but I have got a brain ;-)

Paper Tape
Pascal-MUC

Hi George,

where can I find those OEM models which are supported by IBM / Lenovo.

Thanks

Pascal