Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
imatzav

R60: half of the screen shows lines and stripes

I have the R60 9461-DXG. My problem is that the left half of the laptop's screen shows vertical lines and stripes instead of the desktop. Whatever adjustment I tried the problem remains. When I connected an external monitor though it worked fine. Also, when I press PrtSc the desktop is captured correctly without any lines or stripes.

Has enyone seen this before? My impression is that it may be a connection problem. Could it be something more serious like motherboard or a dying monitor? I had the motherboard replaced already once in the past when it was still under warranty for a different reason. I am very disappointed because I trusted Lenovo for its built quality and because I have been using this laptop almost entirely on my desk i.e. under ideal conditions.

Community Moderator
richk

Re: R60: half of the screen shows lines and stripes

It is most likely the lcd panel. The connection is unlikely to cause that kind of problem. (motherboard failure is possible - video memory)
Ctrl-Alt-Del
imatzav

Thanks for your reply. The lcd panel could indeed be the problem but it seems so odd that exactly half of it may be damaged. Video memory cannot be the problem since in that case the stripes would appear on the external monitor too.
Community Moderator
richk

Video problems sometimes affects only the internal (or only external) monitor. 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
imatzav

I had it checked by authorized Lenovo service and they informed me that it is the display panel that has the problem. It can be fixed by replacing the panel but it will cost me 560 Euros!!! Outrageous price for a 15" panel!!! I recently bought a 40" LCD TV at the same price!!!
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

you can change the panel yourself, by getting one off places like ebay.

And then following the instruction listed in the hardware manual.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-64200.html
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft