Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
ssray23
Accepted Solution

R61 Battery indicator flashes orange ... won't charge at all

My R61's battery level is at 0%. I have the Blinking orange battery Light and it won't charge at all.

I've reseated the battery, I've rebooted, I've gone to the Power Manager and Battery Maintenance to Reset the Battery.

All with no effect.

The power manager claims that the battery is in "Good Condition."

Please advise what needs to be done.

With Regards,
Suddha Satta Ray 
Agotthelf
Topics: 145
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Re: R61 Battery indicator flashes orange ... won't charge at all

Hello,

i would suggest try a new battery, when it solve the problem, your old battery is simply bad.

When the problem remains, also with a new one your charging uni inside the system ma be damaged.

Regards

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Bit Torrent
wjli2

Your fuse in the battery have blown, or have been overdischarged. Are you using the 65 w or 90 w charger????
Paper Tape
clozer2u

I am having the same problem on my T60p.

The battery was in great condition- now is stuck at 4% and will not budge from there.

I did not use it for few days- and it is possible that it discharged.  I am using the 90w charger.

type: 2007-93U

s/n: L3-B5085

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks. 

Paper Tape
multiv123

Hi,

I think I have the same problem as well. I have an R60e and battery level has dropped to 0% and also haven't used for couple days. I'm using a 90W charger. Is the charging unit the problem?

type:0657-CTO

s/n: LV-AF735 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
ssray23

[ Edited ]

Problem

The battery of my ThinkPad R61 was not working properly. The charge on it always remained at 0% and refused to charge even though the AC power adaptor was hooked on with the mains.

Other symptoms

The battery icon on the lower part of the screen and on the lid was always flashing orange.

Solutions tried

Re-seated the battery physically. Tried to do a gauge-reset (From battery icon on the taskbar, right click on “Battery Information”). Both of these efforts were in vain. Battery still did not charge.

How the problem was solved in my case

In the morning, when I saw the battery gauge reset was unsuccessful (i.e. battery did not charge up at all), I decided to shutdown the laptop. The laptop was still connected to the mains via the Power adaptor. As usual, even on the lid, the battery icon was flashing orange, telling me that battery is still not charging up.

In the evening, when I came back to my laptop, I was surprised to see that the battery icon on the lid has lighted up to green!!! First signs of good news. Immediately, I opened the lid of the laptop and started it up. As per expectation, it the battery was fully charged to 100%!!!!!

Lesson

What I guess happened was that the R61’s battery was over-discharged (?) for some reason. (I.e. battery might be under a lot of pressure and was probably overworked when a put-to-sleep laptop was not plugged to the mains for good number of days in a row). The flashing orange indicator on battery icon on lid and display probabaly showed us just that – battery over discharge!! What was needed was a good one or two days of continuous charging of the laptop’s battery through the mains via the power adaptor, without switching on the laptop. That exactly happened when I shutdown the laptop (in frustration) and closed the lid, but somehow let the mains remain connected to the laptop (with the overdischarged battery inside).

Message Edited by ssray23 on 12-15-2008 09:37 AM
Message Edited by ssray23 on 12-15-2008 09:38 AM
What's DOS?
ajayshare

I am facing the same problem but the solution given doesnt solve my case

My battery warranty has just got over around 10 days before and suddenly the battery has stopped working

I have heard that this is a problem many R 61 users are facing and only solution given by customer support is to replace the costly battery!

What's DOS?
ajayshare

Where is the battery fuse? can we reset it somehow?
Paper Tape
clozer2u

[ Edited ]
The solution by ssray did work for me.... it took two days though.  Turn off machine and leave on charge.
Message Edited by clozer2u on 12-25-2008 02:06 PM
What's DOS?
rittik

Hey Ray,

I do have the same problem. I even purchased a new battery, but no luck. Can you please guide me how to get out of this issue.

I charged the laptop for around 48 hours, but still the orange LED is blinking.