Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
mhafiz

Re: Intel 82566MC Gigabit Network Device Cannot Start (Code 10)

Hi

I tried using the drivers supplied on Lenovo's website instead of the latest ones supplied by Intel... and it seemed to do the trick. The ethernet controller now works even after a warm boot (system restart). So problem solved I guess? Could anyone else having the same problems try out these drivers as well? They may be downloaded from the link below:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67829

Paper Tape
mz001

hi,

I just encountered the same problem as you all, it occurred after a nice blue screen when trying to read from a DVD.

I tried rebooting, shutdown, un-installing and installing drivers but it would not help.

the comment of one of you that it disappeared after a few days made me try one more thing:

I disconnected all cables, removed the battery and waited for a minute or two. Then I inserted the battery and started without anything attached and: everything works fine again!

maybe it is just a question of resetting the Ethernet adapter.

hope this helps you too!

Punch Card
catty

[ Edited ]

add my name to the list of thoseaffect :smileyindifferent: it seems that shutting down/doing a cold start resolves it. has anyone had any other luck/resolution?

without trying to be too pessimistic, it doesn't look good. Now being April and last BIOS update was 25/11/2008 :smileysad:

Out of interest what are your model numbers, people? 

R61i 8918-A18 here.

UPDATE: MIXED NEWS!

I did some googling and I don't know if versions are standard amongst different countries/languages, but I looked up 2.27-1.08 (2.27 being the next increment if previous BIOS nomenclature is anything to go by) and there is under the japanese portal of lenovo. Updated about a week and a bit ago. though it mentions only for the R61/R61e ? doesnt look like the other R61i was sold there if their download page is anything to go by.

The change log provided doesn't really mention this ethernet issue. I guess they may be reluctant to acknowledge fixing the issue again.. if the first fix didn't work... and that's if it has even been fixed :smileyvery-happy:

CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
Version 2.27-1.08

[Important updates]
Nothing.

[New functions or enhancements]
- Added PCI Express Power Management disabling capability in BIOS setup.

[Problem fixes]
- Fixed an issue where the computer with the Smart Card Reader resumed normal
operation immediately after going into sleep mode at critical low battery
state on Windows Vista.
- Fixed an issue where some CardBus devices might have slow performance.
- Fixed an issue that the computer might hang with black screen when using a USB
device attached to the computer immediately after power-on.

So keep your eyes peeled... we might see this 2.27 update propagate to other Lenovo sites and it might just have fixed this issue (hopefully).

Message Edited by catty on 04-05-2009 02:34 AM
Message Edited by catty on 04-05-2009 02:09 AM
Punch Card
catty

[ Edited ]

would anyone be game enough to flash 2.27? I have crafted a download url which appears to get the next bios file :smileyhappy:

Edited:actually my convoluted way can just be done by going to the current bios page:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68178

First link to the current (2.26) BIOS notes: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/7kuj25uc.txt

simply increment it to http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/7kuj26uc.txt (note it doesnt specify release date, also up top it has 'Revision : 01' - so obviously this hasn't officially been released yet).

and if you want the ISO, you should know what do to... simply increment the url to the ISO. I checked the contents from the japanese one, and the actual image inside is the same. the tools that upgrade and the text file are in japanese though, which is to be expected.

VERY TEMPTING............. anyone want to take the plunge? :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

ah well.. i might as well. the images in the ISO are the same as the jap, and if the japanese one is safe to release, i can't see this being anymore dangerous than a beta.

Updated successfully! I see the option in BIOS for PCI Express power management... and the version number has incremented... now to reset bios to defaults and boot into windows - see if our little ethernet friend shows up more regularly!
Here we go!
COLD BOOT: connection started - great success!
warm boot #1 = connection started - great success!
warm boot #2 = connection started - great success!
warm boot #3 = connection started - great success!
warm boot #4 = FAIL! oh well, worth a shot.
warm boot #5 = FAIL! hmmm....
warm boot #6 = FAIL! yep. same old pattern here ;(
warm boot #7 = FAIL! abort abort. eject eject eject!
warm boot #8 = <aborted>
warm boot #9 = <aborted>
warm boot #10 = <aborted>

well that's it from me folks. Disabling Ethernet for now and I'll come back & try again in six months!
Message Edited by catty on 04-05-2009 03:04 AM
Paper Tape
The-Traveler

Re: R61: Intel 82566MC Gigabit Network Device Cannot Start (Code 10)

I'm current running Windows 7 7068 on my R61 with no issues, using Windows updated drivers. I do remember running build 7000 and updating to the latest Intel drivers without luck. But then I played around with disabling and deleting the drivers (using Device Manager) and some combination of driver delete and installations fixed the problem.

All I'm saying is that if you don't want to reinstall the OS you may be able to get it working again if you keep trying.

Paper Tape
spilja

The mentioned method certainly works - shut down completely, unplug and then take off the battery and put it back in. 

But this problem is so annoying, I even got it while doing a clean install of Windows 7, had to do the battery removal thing...

Paper Tape
The-Traveler

I've never gotten it while doing a fresh install, that's weird.

Kako je dole u Hrvatskoj? :-)

Paper Tape
cyber_chas

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have just reinstalled my XP and I seem to be having the same problem. However I am not sure about the link to BIOS, because right after installation the card worked fine (it was the very first driver I have installed) and it only stopped working after I have downloaded and installed all the other drivers and utilities via System Update. I haven't performed BIOS update, only installed all the drivers - so my guess is that there might be a conflict with some other drivers installed via S.U. 

(btw, the same problem with this NIC also appears with a Toshiba notebook: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/5ae3fff4-ab61-43a0-902b-ca4e...)

Anyway it is really quite annoying, so I am thinking about new fresh install, this time without System update. I will try to install all the drivers one by one and maybe I will be able to find the conflict...

Edit 1:

By the way - the same think happened when I upgraded from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 about a month ago. I don't work with ubuntu that often and WiFi was sufficient for me so I did not try to resolvet that yet, but it also seems to be a driver-related problem.

Edit2: (possible solution?)

before completely reinstalling XP again I gave it a last try with drivers and it seem to work,

here's step-by-step what I did:

1) uninstalled the NIC in device manager

2) deleted contents of c:\windows\inf folder (to get rid of the newest drivers)

don't do this!

3) turned off the computer, unconnected power supply, removed the battery

4) put everything back, turned on the computer

5) I installed old NIC drivers (ver. 9.7.251.0 from oct 2007) I found on an old back-up disc

6) tried few warm reboots, everything seems to work fine.

note: I also tried the same without step #3 - it didn't work

Edit 3:

DO not delete the entire windows\inf 

you have to get rid of the NIC drivers but leave the other files intact.

Step #2 have to be reduced to only deleting files with NIC drivers (I was too lazy to look for them and later have to restore all INF folder from backup - some plug'n'play devices stopped to work properly)

Message Edited by cyber_chas on 06-06-2009 06:32 AM
Paper Tape
Proxymus

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with the intel network card. I have tried several driver and bios version. I also had reinstalled my computer, but the problem exists still. :smileysad:

Has anybody an idea what else I can do to solve this problem.

Maybe someone from lenovo can say something about this problem. Is anybody working on a solution?

Message Edited by Proxymus on 07-21-2009 05:03 AM
Paper Tape
The-Traveler

I must say that I have been running Windows 7 for a long time now without any NIC issues whatsoever. I have NOT updated drivers directly from Intel but all windows updates have gone through fine.

Try that.

Windows 7 Build 7100 x64