Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
frogg_n

Re: bodRe: R61: Intel 82566MC Gigabit Network Device Cannot Start (Code 10)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have R61 m/t: 89185QG with the same problem. After a lot of time of googling, I have found solution, that works for me. I installed fresh Windows XP Pro SP3 OEM (czech localized - just to be precise), then .net 2.0, latest System Update from Lenovo website and LATEST nic driver from Lenovo website. I used shutdown instead of reboot for several next steps to workaround the issue. Next I performed complete update through System Update (all critical and recommended updates, latest bios). After last reboot, nic was dead as usually (error log code 10). Another Shutdown to bring nic back to life.Then I uninstalled Intel networking via Add / remove programs, then shutdown followed. After booting again, a Add new hardware wizard appeared - skipped. Finally, I installed nic driver version  9.7.240.0 build 149536 (via Device manager - reinstall driver). Really hard to find, all downloads are dead, but this one worked (terrible speed). 

http://www.driversdown.com/drivers.asp?ID=88297&brNum=3&show=0

After installing this version of driver, nic is working again, it "survived" about 20 warm reboots allready (combinations of eth connected / disconnected, run on battery / on power).

Hope it may help you too.

Blue Screen Again
Culex42

[ Edited ]

Phew, what a workaround... Still, I would be glad if this could be solved properly from the Lenovo site. But something tells me, that we might be experiencing here the slow killing of the XP support. They have invested a lot of time for such short system as Vista was and now all updates are basicly just for Win7. I am not sure if anybody will take care for XP again : o( But I want to believe as I have the same problem and to always do the shutdown and battery removal is really very annoying.

[I don't want problems. I want solutions.] Hardware: Some useless and often broken stuff from HP, Compaq, Dell, then again Dell until finally I was in charge to choose my own gear. Then it was T60w and now it is R61w.
Blue Screen Again
Culex42

I have been searching for the most actual driver directly on the Intel website and there is one very recent one. But guess what. If you bother to read the provided text file, you will find that the problem is on the Intel site not on Lenovo's side! They have it still there under WinXP - Known Issues - Device Cannot Start (Code 10). And they have it there some time already, that is at least three versions to the past, that are still uploaded !! What is worse, they just ignore it as it seems and advise us, just to restart the computer... Now that is something I do not like !!

[I don't want problems. I want solutions.] Hardware: Some useless and often broken stuff from HP, Compaq, Dell, then again Dell until finally I was in charge to choose my own gear. Then it was T60w and now it is R61w.
Fanfold Paper
AussieLes

Re: R61: Intel 82566MC Gigabit Network Device Cannot Start (Code 10)

Wow Guys, really pleased to have found your thread and shared wisdom.  I too have an R61 with MS Windows XP and been experiencing the same Intel 82566MC Code 10 ethernet probs.  The workaround is great to have, wish I had it sooner, though it is a pain in the bum to need to do it. 

The NIC and driver have been code 10'ing for a few months.  I did go to the extent of doing a factory restore to MS WIndows XP, then downloading ThinkVantage System Manager 3.14, then downloading installing the Lenovo ethernet updates.  Problem occurred straight away,

Machine is under warranty so I had it sent back to IBM (local warranty guys).  Came back and they did not even have the courtesy to have called or properly read the info I supplied,  Simply gave it a default factory restore, said NIC works OK and then sent it back.  Really insulting and not at all productive.

Rang their support who have tried to help, even go to Country Support (Australia).  They asked me to apply 7kra23ww.exe. Installed this and it worked, till funnily enough I warm booted.

I then hunted around, found and installed 7kra26ww.exe.  Made no difference to symptoms.

My BIOS is at 2.18.

Again workaround does the trick, but THE PROBLEM REALLY NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED BY IBM/LENOVO.

I've had a month's downtime on the R61.  NOT GOOD.

My machine is at Lenovo default with only Lenovo supplied drivers.  problem occurs in this state.  Therefore problem and solution is really in THEIR camp.

Paper Tape
sircamel

hello everyone,

just tried it again with the latest "WinPro32.exe" from the intel site ...

Ver:15.1.1 Date:2/19/2010 / 4.0.100.1124

still the same issue ... thats just so wrong ... this is IBM/Intel ... not some korean company with like 100 customers ... just very disappointing ...

What's DOS?
danwaksman

Does anyone have an update on this?  I am imaging machines using Microsoft SCCM, and after the 82566MC driver is installed on the R61, the network card is not detected by Windows XP setup or in Windows PE.  When I log into Windows XP, I see that the 82566MC has the Device Cannot Start (Code 10) error.  If I power down the machine and turn it back on, the 82566MC is detected correctly, but this is too late for the imaging process to work correctly!

Thanks,

Dan

Fanfold Paper
AussieLes

Sadly Lenovo seem to not want to do anything about this.  I had 'escalated' problem with my R61 to country local support (IBM) who said they escalated it to Lenovo.  Call kept dropping off queue.  They told me to go direct to Lenovo at lenovocc_au@lenovo.com .  Placed call there almost two weeks ago and the only responses I had were to (again) send in my machine specs and that the problem has "been sent to the IT team and waiting for their reply".

Problem is definitely with the Lenovo update process.  Fair and square Lenovo should be resolving this issue.  If the Intel update is a problem then Lenovo should have picked this up in their quality control and NOT HAVE ALLOWED IT TO BE PART OF THEIR UPDATE.

Lenovo seem not to care about this issue and seem to hope the affected users will just go away.

Fanfold Paper
AussieLes

So, I have been pursuing this since November 2009 with Australia Lenovo Technical support which is IBM.  This particular pc itself is branded with BOTH Lenovo and IBM anyway.  Eventually IBM Tech support said "recommend contacting Lenovo Customer Care for future updates and escalation points".

Which I have tried doing only to be told by a fellow from Lenovo Customer Care that he "was advised since this is a technical issue, The people who can assist you is Lenovo  technical team."

What utter rubbish and buck shoving.  Denial of  responsibility yet the branded IBM Lenovo notebook still fails, and due to THEIR updates. 

What's DOS?
jhavdv

I had the same issues like everyone here. Doing a cold boot, enable the network driver, but doing a warm boot, disable the driver!

So by pure luck I've tried the following.

1. I did a cold boot, then went into the device manager, and disabled the network card.

2. I did a cold boot, went back to the the device manager, and enabled the network drive.

3. Then I did a cold boot, and the network card stayed enabled.

4. Then I did a warm boot, and the network card stayed enabled.

4. I though that was just luck, and I was rebooting via warm and cold boot a couple of times, and the network card stays enabled! Not sure what will happen on warm boot 100!

So I'm not sure if I'm just lucky, but try it! It worked for me. Going to make a Manager very happy now!

Fanfold Paper
AussieLes

Glad it worked for you. What model machine are you using?

Same thing has *not* worked for my R61.

Factory restore works ok, then as soon as IBM/Lenovo update stuffs up the networking.

Whole thing is much worse now since MS ceased support couple of days ago of up to MS Windows XP SP2.

Despite trying to escalate, have been unable to learn from IBM and Lenovo if this problem occurs on Windows 7.

And they do not have a Windows 7 image for my R61....

Sigh.

Time to give up on this notebook.