Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
ehssan

R61 - Rescue & Recovery Problem

Hi everyone i'm new to the forum so i don't know if this is the right place to post this, just let me know otherwise.

A couple of days ago my thinkpad started getting these Trojan virus warning messages, i thought my anti-virus took care of it but this was not the case. The infection spread quickly and i thought 'what the f i'll just burn out a rescue media disk and restore the system'.  I burn ONE cd through the thinkvantage program in windows xp, and i don't get any error messages or something like that so i assume that the burning process went fine.

The problem is that when i get to the point where it asks me for supplemental disks i ofcourse click no because i don't have any, then it asks me for the 'Product Recover Disk 1' and i guess thats the disc i burned right? So i put it in but it says that it's the wrong cd. But it's the only one i have.

So i'm kinda freaking out right know cause i can't get back into Windows either to burn a new one. Please mighty lenovo forum help me with this problem and i will always be grateful.

/Ehssan Kanngo

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,232
Solutions: 1,317

Re: R61 - Rescue & Recovery Problem

that is the recovery media that you created. The recovery discs that you want should 3 dvd for vista, 2 dvd for win xp and around 8 cd discs if you are not using dvd media.

When you press the thinkvantage button does it take you to the recovery console?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
ehssan

OK that's messed up, because it just takes me back to the recovery console when i press the thinkvantage button. Is there another way to get the recovery disks or get back into windows or is the computer just completly ruined now?

Thanks fo the reply!

lead_org

do you have anything important on the hdd that you need to recover?
Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
ehssan

No, i backed up everything i wanted on my external hdd before putting in the cd.

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

you wrote: . OK that's messed up, because it just takes me back to the recovery console when i press the thinkvantage button. Is there another way to get the recovery disks or get back into windows or is the computer just completly ruined now?

if the restore process did not run it should boot to win. if it does not then in the recovery area (console) use the restore to factory option

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
lead_org

what if you press the blue thinkvantage button during initial startup? can do you do a full factory recovery from there?

Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
ehssan

The process runs to the point where it wants me to insert the other disc wich i don't have. When i click cancel there, it reboots the computer and takes me back to the recovery console where it asks me for the disc again. And just to clarify it doesn't matter if i press the thinkvantage button or not, it still takes me back to where i am now.

Fanfold Paper
ehssan

@lead_org

did you mean before that i should try to press the button when i was in the recovery console? Because i havn't tried that, i thought you meant during starup. But okey i'll try it when i get home from work today.

or, 

do you mean before i used the disc? In that case no. I couldn't use Rescue & Recovery from either pressing the thinkvantagebutton at starup or using it from inside windows. That's why i burned the disc.

Thanks.

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

take the disc out of the dvd drive then try to start the laptop

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC