Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
someshpr

R61: battery always charging even when not connected to AC power

Problem:

I had my beloved R61 for two years now. Recently I noticed weird power issues. The AC power connected indicator stays always on (as if its charging) even when it is not connected to any power at all. It does not change whether the laptop is powered on or switched off. While on, it shows that it is charging even when no AC adapter is connected. But the orange low battery light works fine, I mean when the battery gets low it becomes orange and then starts blinking. But since the OS detects as AC power always on, it doesn't perform power management options properly (i.e., shutdown when battery is critically low and not connected to power).

Other than that the battery seems to work fine and gives around 2hr of backup (thought it used to give 3.5 hours when I had it initially)

History:

All this started all of a sudden when I was traveling in India. When I noticed that the battery indicator and AC power indicator stayed on even after shutdown and removal from AC source. Then next thing I know it won't start up at all. So I kept it aside for a week, and then suddenly it started up again. But the light problem persisted. After I came back to US the problem continued to be there, but nothing further. Before going to India I had to replace my original 65W AC adepter with a third party 90W adapter, as the earlier one gave way.

Is there a solution to it?

As an aside:

Recently I noticed either my AC adapter, or the connector on my laptop is probably is loose, because the battery drained even when it was connected. But as I pushed the connector harder, it started working.

Model: Thinkpad R61 (7732-CTO)

Battery: 42T5264

TIA,

Somesh

Blue Screen Again
IvanCroatia

Re: R61: battery always charging even when not connected to AC power

BUY NEW BATTERY

Blue Screen Again
someshpr

IvanCroatia wrote:

BUY NEW BATTERY

Thanks IvanCroatia,

Is this surely a battery issue?I can buy a new battery, but I do not want to invest unless I am certain that is a battery issue! What if after spending $150 on a new battery I find the problem is on something else? So wandering if this is a known solution to this.

TIA,

Somesh

Blue Screen Again
IvanCroatia

and the problem was eventually