Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Greybird
Accepted Solution

R61i CPU Upgrade

Hi

I have R61i.  8932-A59 (CTO I think). It has T2370 Dual core processor 1.73 GHz, 533 FSB, 1 MB cache (Socket P I believe). Chipset GM965 Express (an intel software tells me so). Laptop was too slow so I upgraded RAM to 3GB but not much improvement. So I am thinking to upgrade CPU. Apparently T8100(C2D 2.1), and T8300(C2D 2.4) look good choice. Googling around tells me they are compatible but I have never done such thing.

1. Is CPU upgrade way to go?

2. Is it possible or I have to go some other way?

3. Is it something that I can perform myself?

4. What results should I expect after its done?

Experts/ someone who has done this please help. Suggestions are Welcom

Thanks

Token Ring
thePCxp

Re: R61i CPU Upgrade

Hi and welcome to the forums, Greybird. 1. The T8100 and T8300 are a pretty good choice and are the cheapest Penryn. 2. Whether the T8100 and T8300 works or not depend on the motherboard revision you have, but you can get the middleton's modified bios to overcome any error even if you have the older motherboard, which are not compatible with the T8xxx and T9xxx 800 Mhz FSB Penryn CPU. 3. Ugrading the CPU is fairly easy, just follow the hardware guide: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-677604 . 4. It will run faster and slightly cooler.
Best Regards,
Ryan Turner
Volunteer Lenovo Advocate
ThinkPads R51: 1836HAU, T41: 23737FU, 600: 264551U, T60: 2008VRQ
Lenovo C440
I Love Lenovo!
thePCxp on Twitter
Paper Tape
Greybird

Thanks  for your reply and help

Motherboard (GM965) is compatible with T8100 as per Intel site which lists this processor as compatible product to this board. GM965 is later version(2008 I think) of Intel and can handle 64 bit as well as Core2 Quad and Core2 Extreme processors. However T2370 is socket PPGA478 while I have got a T8100 with socket PGA478. That extra "P" makes a difference? As far intel, they say it should fit. I got a used working T8100 for only 35$. Lenovo does not have model of my R61i with compatible processors as it is a CTO version. Wrere there any R61i's with GM965 board and T8100 CPU combination? If someone has it then its a go for me. This upgrade is too cheap to miss!

Paper Tape
Greybird

[ Edited ]

Ok then!

Got my used T8100. Put it in with some help from Youtube videos and hardware manual( Wish manual was more detailed). and IT WORKS! Cleaned up the fan as well and thinkpad has gone lot quieter. Performance and speed have risen 4X, no more waiting. As I was told CPU temperatures have dropped by about 7-10 deg C from its previous average values. I have yet to check battery performance which I believe will have improved. Will update this post soon. I am glad I went ahead with this one. Solved and recommended!

Now that I have seen the performance, Battery life actually shown is 20-25 min less but battery actually lasts longer for abt 15-20 min especially under CPU intense tasks. Strangely though Windows experience score for processor has dropped from 4.8 (T2370) to 4.4 (T8100) so don't pay any attention to this thing!

Paper Tape
muraii

Hi there,

I'm curious if you're still enjoying this CPU upgrade, and--if you don't mind--where you purchased the CPU from. I have an R61i, 8932-CTO (can't find if it's an A59 or whatever other model), with the T2370 CPU. I have the machine apart to replace the fan, which has tended to run a lot especially in the last few months. If the CPU not only speeds up the experience but also results in a cooler-running machine, that would be fantastic. Especially if prices are in the ~$40-50 range.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Paper Tape
Greybird

Happy new year Daniel and apology for late reply!

Yes CPU upgrade has been a very positive experience. My R61i CPU temperatures have lowered by abt 5 deg on average while performance has increased. If T2370 was your old CPU then T8xx wil fit. As for buying one is concerned it went like this here in Pakistan. I go to a local market for new and used computer hardware. They keep parts mostly taken out from Dead machines. From that junkyard of used parts I searched and found this T8100 (I actually wanted a T8300 but did not find it) and bought it after some bargaining. He did not accept my old T2370 in return. I have seen T8100, and T8300 on ebay (both new and used). You could order them but I would suggest you go to a place where they repair and keep stock of old laptops. T8100 and T8300 are still available so I hope you will find. They should give you a grace period of a week or so to check the CPU on your machine (here he gave me week). If it runs fine it is likely to run fine for next 7-8 years unless you are extremely unlucky. As for the price I think 30$ is fine but I could get for 20$ or so in Pakistan if I would have gone to the bigger markets. I hope you get a good one at cheap price. Good luck and have fun!!

Paper Tape
muraii

Hi, Greybird,

I very much appreciate your reply. It's very helpful. Actually, it may prompt me to upgrade the laptop rather than build/buy a new computer, a decision I was wrestling with just a couple of hours ago.

Cheers,

Daniel