Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
mrobar

R61i Recovery Failure - corrupt restore files, need recovery files

[ Edited ]

Hello,

A friend conscientiously made the recovery disks when he got his machine, and now needs to use them. Much to his and my dismay, some of the files on the disks are corrupted in some way or another. He upgraded the hard drive after making these disks and had wiped the original drive in order to re-task it, so nothing from it is available.

The machine is out of warranty, of course, so I understand that support will be ... less than supportive.

Where might I be able to download disk images (preferably in DVD format) or perhaps the individual image files which are damaged? I can provide a list of them and which of the recovery disks they are from.  Would anyone consider making such available for download or uploading them to a website? You can privately contact me at  tumbleweed underscore biff at yahoo dot com.  Thank you in advance.

The machine is a 7650-9LU

Mike

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mrobar

Re: R61i Recovery Failure - corrupt restore files, need recovery files

A further note: another attempt to copy files from the CDs made for this purpose and there is only one file it was unable to copy:   4GOIE2A0.IMZ

If someone would make this single file available, it is really all I need.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

you can't download these files from the web. So your friend has the XP pro recovery media?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
mrobar

I am aware that one cannot download the files from Lenovo's site. I am kind of hoping that someone else with this same image will have mercy ...

Yes it is XP Pro and the file is to be found on Disk 5 (actually the sixth disk, but labeled Disk 5). I just need one stinking (but big) file.  ;-)

Mike

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

Here's a longshot that has saved me a couple of times.  Maybe you've already tried it.

See if you can copy the disk on some other machine/optical drive.  Sometimes one can read a marginal or damaged burn on a 2nd drive and successfully copy to new media.

Good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mrobar

Hi,
Thanks for the thought, had already tried that.  However, I did it again and kept hitting retry and it appears to have worked.  Now to test ... I am kind of surprised, however that no one ha posted the iso's for these things. $50 for a pair of DVD's is ridiculous. Your machine has the license attaced to it and per M$ licensing it cannot be transferred and dies with the machine, Lenovo, et. al., should have the iso's available for download. I would gladly pay $5 to cover bandwidth and such *reasonable* costs.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

No computer companies make the windows recovery media available on the internet for download, Lenovo is no different.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
mrobar

I know that none of them make such available, that is why the "et. al.,"

If you have a machine has a valid license key, why not let us simply download the media?  It could easily be tied to a registration for the machine, allow registered users to download the media for the products they have registered. As I said, I'd be willing to pay a *reasonable* fee, like $5 or so, in order to cover bandwidth, maintainance,, and such ...

Mike