Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
colokalle
Accepted Solution

R61i additional memory - RAM location on computer?

how is additional RAM added to R61i? Where are the RAM sockets located? How are they accessed?

Lenovo support site (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67447) is good, but it doesn't have memory addition instructions for this model.

The exploded drawing (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68171) appears to show RAM under the TouchPad. Some of the screws on the bottom appear to have RAM icons, but it looks like the whole bottom comes off in a single piece.

Other models have easy RAM access. It doesn't seem like adding RAM to this model would be so involved.

Thank you

KalleE

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

Re: R61i additional memory - RAM location on computer?

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the RAM is located under the palmrest.  All the instructions for installing it can be found in HMM that you can download from here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67859

Good luck and let us know. 

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Paper Tape
colokalle

I thought I had read the entire manual. Thank you for sending me back to the answer. Will repost with results.

Thank you

KalleE

Paper Tape
colokalle

Thank you for the instructions and encouragement. Installing memory was smooth. Everything worked exactly as advertised.

KalleE

Punch Card
colloquor

I recently added a 1GB memory module to my R61i.  The manual included with the R61i aptly described the procedure to access the memory location(s) by removing the palmrest.  My only problem was that once I removed the screws, the left side of the palmrest would not "let go."  No matter how I tried with my finger(s), the left side of the palmrest would not lift.  After 30 minutes of frustration, I fabricated a thin piece of aluminum which did the trick in lifting the left side of the palmrest.  It left no marks and fit perfectly into the space between the palmrest and the bottom section.

I own three other ThinkPads, although supposedly easy, my R61i was the most difficult to access the memory location.  The absolute easiest laptop I own for changing/updating memory is a business HP/Compaq nx6110.  And, my wife's supposedly "pedestrian" Acer, is downright simple to access the memory location - a simple access door on the bottom, somewhat similar to my T42. 

Don

600X, T42, R52, R61i
Paper Tape
screwdriver223

I also had a lot of trouble convinving the left side of the palmrest to come up on my R61.  However, after a little coercion, it popped up.  I was sure I was missing a screw or something!  Happy to hear I'm not the only one...
ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

To put it this way...my first response to the idea of putting RAM under the palmrest (which was introduced on T60/p and R60) was: you've got to be kidding me...

I know I'm old-fashioned, but my idea of accessible upgrades is T30/A3x/R40...one cover for RAM and one for mini-PCI on the bottom of the machine...even the wireless card under the palmrest on T4x/R5x, along with a "secret" RAM slot under the keyboard is not to my liking...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Punch Card
colloquor

I would concur.  The "secret" or additional RAM location beneath the keyboard also is not the best, although it's not that difficult to access once you've done it a few times.  On my HP Compaq nx6110, the additional RAM location is also beneath the keyboard, but much easier to access than on any IBM/Lenovo.  Adding memory is something that pracitcally everyone does - manufacturers should make it easy to do so.
Don

600X, T42, R52, R61i