Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
JD_Hupp
Accepted Solution

STOP error with bootable CD's

[ Edited ]

I have a brand new Thinkpad R500 with Vista installed, but that needs to run Windows XP instead.  Booting with the XP CD, I get a STOP error during the boot process:

STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I also get a STOP error when I try to boot BartPE or UBCD4Win CD's.  Ubuntu and Dam* Small Linux CD's halt at a blank screen.

In Vista, when I was creating the factory restore disc set (ThinkVantage: Create Product Recovery Discs), when I tried to use a couple different brands of DVD+R discs, it would always refuse to start the operation with the message: "Drive is not ready or is busy performing another operation."  Lenovo tech support just suggested that I use CD's instead, which I did in order to get the job done (12 CD's).  But I have not yet dug father on that to find out if the drive will burn DVD's under another program, or if the hardware itself is defective.  It did seem to play a DVD movie fine.

Anyone recognize these problems?

--John Hupp

Message Edited by JD_Hupp on 12-31-2008 05:01 PM
Message Edited by JD_Hupp on 12-31-2008 05:05 PM
Fanfold Paper
JD_Hupp

Re: STOP error with bootable CD's

It turns out that there were two problems.  The STOP errors and similar bootup problems were due to lack of support for the SATA drive controller.  The solution is to temporarily change the BIOS setup for SATA from AHCI to Compatible.

The problem with error messages during the Rescue and Recovery  disc creation operation was simply due to my not reading the specs on the laptop carefully.  It only came with a combo drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM -- no DVD burner)!!