Support in other languages: 
m0g
Fanfold Paper
m0g

Thinkpad L412 Fan not working and some fn keys as well

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with my laptop which is following :

- The cooling system had completely stopped working

- Some hot keys doesn't respond anymore (brightness, sound)

First of all, I was thinking about an OS problem (i'm running debian), so I try Windows & Ubuntu, still the same problem.

Afterwards, I thought about a BIOS problem, so I decide to upgrade this one, by using the BIOS utility whatever boot CD and it solved the problem.

But now one week after I had solved it, the problem is back and because I'm on the last bios firmware I can't upgrade anymore. So I don't know what I can do.

Thanks for you answers.

m0g
Fanfold Paper
m0g

Re: Thinkpad L412 Fan not working and some fn keys as well

Sorry I forgot to put it in the right forum. So if somebody can move it. Thanks
Guru
Mornsgrans

The missing OSD by changing volume and brightness only are the result of a wrong video driver - you should prefer the Lenovo driver.

If other FnFxx - keys also do not work, the powermanagement driver and/or hokey driver are not properly working/installd.

Remove Power Management Driver and install it new after reboot.

Remove Hotkey Driver by its own setup.exe and deinstall the sub-packages from bottom to top one after the other. - Then remove the directory C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY ans install the Hotkey Features again.

Do you use a fan control program like PFControl or TPFanControl? - Remove it until the problem is solved.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
m0g
Fanfold Paper
m0g

Thanks for your answer.
But the bios isn't suppose to manage the fan ?
If it's come from the os why does it comes so suddenly? I didn't made any update in between. And I'm not using windows I only use debian.
Guru
Mornsgrans

If your L412 still is in warranty, do a support call to Lenovo.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
m0g
Fanfold Paper
m0g

Unfortunately my l412 is no longer in warranty since two months

Blue Screen Again
pinkpotato

Hi have you solved your problem yet? I have similar problem with fan stop working and cylinder icon (hard disk thing) stop blinking and the laptop freeze everytime I start up.

However I kinda solve my START UP problem but fan still not working. What I did was following this following TOshiba post http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-118428-toshiba-laptop-doesn-t-start-up-black-screen. Laptop is working now (maybe temporary) after I removed entire battery and restart with the AC power only (no battery attached).

I supposed to go to Control Panel> Power Options> Balance> Change advanced setting and customize to minimum processor state from 5% to 100% for each On battery and Plugged in. But I have no idea how to do this step. As I cannot find the Balance tab at all.

What's DOS?
bla_

[ Edited ]

i run debian duplicate the volume/brighness-key bug on a weekly basis.  it is (almost) unquestionably a driver problem, which suggests that it will occur with any distrubution that doesn't use proprietary drivers.  restarting fixes it, but of course, that is not an acceptable solution, particularly for a linux user.

perhaps lenovo or, more likely, a volunteer will submit a patch one of these days, but the best advice for now is DO NOT BUY A LENOVO L412 IF YOU RUN GNU/LINUX.

What's DOS?
oscarra

[ Edited ]

Shutting down and taking out the battery for a few minutes made it for me, maybe lasting a few reboots (I don't know because I just figure it out).