Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
BeatleManiac
Accepted Solution

Wireless N for an R60

Hello!

I hav a 9462-73U R60 and I'm wanting to get it connected to my new N network.  All of the docs I've found online say the 4965AGN is not compatible.  What about the PC Card slot?  Can anyone suggest a good AGN card for R60?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hurd

Floyds Knobs, IN

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

Re: Wireless N for an R60

The only compatible card (meaning that you wouldn't have to use the modded BIOS) would be an IBM/Atheros card,  FRU 42T0825, 42T0827, 42T0829, 42T0831.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Blue Screen Again
BeatleManiac

I ordered the part.

Thanks for your help!!

Steve Hurd

Paper Tape
jackmark

Spoiler
Third WIFI antenna for R60?

I have a related issue. I have (and still use)  an upgraded R60 (9455-38U upgraded with Win7, Seagate Momentus XT HDD, T7600 CPU ) which is working fabulously and also purchased/installed Atheros Atheros AR5008 AR5BXB72 (FRU: 42T0825).

However, when installing it, I noticed my laptop had only two antennas; connected them and it seems to be working fine with wireless N (I am getting 300 Mhz speed) however I had some trouble connecting to older g-type routers. I am suspecting this is related to the fact that one of the antenna is missing and the fact which contacts I have them connected to.

So my question is how to order third antenna for my laptop (which P/N). I know FRU 42R9910 works with T60, T60P, but I am not sure if it would work with my R60.

I hope someone here knows the answer already...:smileyhappy:

ajkula66

Welcome to the forum, jackmark!

The lack of the third antenna has nothing to do with issues that you're having connecting with "g" routers. The third antenna is there to enable MIMO, nothing else.

Correctly matching the card and router settings is the key for good wireless connectivity.

Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

George,

Does it matter which antenna is connected to what port on the card?  That is, when the N-capable card is accessing a G router, can it use any of the ports, or does it default to one in particular?

If the latter, what happens if there's no antenna plugged in to that port?

Not sayin', just askin'

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Paper Tape
jackmark

George,

Thanks for quick reply,

So then if I have two antennas only then I have no MIMO, correct?

Well then, if it is possible, I would still prefer to add third antenna.

Paper Tape
jackmark

Alternatively, there is allways an option to install 3rd generic antenna (for example Tyco Wifi & BT Antenna http://www.ebay.com/itm/TYCO-Laptop-Wireless-Mini-PCI-PCI-E-Internal-Antennas-/200598436867#vi-conte...) and just wiring it somewhere under the palmrest, but I'd prefer the "original lenovo option" if possible.

ajkula66

jackmark wrote:

Alternatively, there is allways an option to install 3rd generic antenna (for example Tyco Wifi & BT Antenna http://www.ebay.com/itm/TYCO-Laptop-Wireless-Mini-PCI-PCI-E-Internal-Antennas-/200598436867#vi-conte...) and just wiring it somewhere under the palmrest, but I'd prefer the "original lenovo option" if possible.

While I'm certain that you can locate the original wiring for the third antenna on eBay or somewhere along those lines, ripping apart the entire machine - including the LCD assembly - never seemed appealing enough to silly old me, not for the sake of getting MIMO anyway.

I've got multiple routers operating on both "G" and "N" bands throughout my house, and none of the ThinkPads with a 42T0825 card and only two antennae exhibits any connectivity problems.

Obviously, YMMV.

Cheers,

George

Paper Tape
jackmark

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply,

I do not think this can be qualified as "connectivity problems", it just smaller range and strength of wireless signal I guess.

I have been using it for a year already, and I would not do it just for mimo, but it just happen that I have to replace my lid lock and hinge anyway (my kid broke it off) so I will be disassembling the LCD panel anyway.

Since I have done  it once before on this particular model, once you know what to do the procedure is relatively easy (or at least easy to me).

So now that I explained my situation, you may better make sense out of my desire to address the "third antenna" issue at the same time. Hence my search for the "right" antenna :smileyhappy: