Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
ksaraf
Accepted Solution

lenovo r61 not powering on

[ Edited ]

my laptop was working perfectly until yesterday. the laptop started fine and shut down suddenly. when i put the power adapter cord the laptop turns on without pressing the power button and it shutd down after 2 seconds witthout displaying anything.

yesterday i had tried to start it with a dead battery by pressing the power button for 10 seconds after which i put in the adapter and battery . i have also disassembled the battery and ac adapter and tried but it hasnt done any good. Please help me out ASAP

My specs:

lenovo r61 7743-a17

intel core2 duo 1.8 ghz

4 gb ddr2 ram

windows 7 64 bit operating system

nvidia quadro nvs 140m graphic card

Punch Card
ksaraf

Re: lenovo r61 not powering on

i took off the dvd writer and started the laptop.. its working perfect without a problem! however if i reseat it then the laptop doesnt turn on. What should i do now/?

Guru
ColonelONeill

Check the connector for damage on either the optical drive itself or inside the bay.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Punch Card
ksaraf

thanks for ur reply. ill check and update

Punch Card
ksaraf

i checked the connector...no physical damase... when i put in the dvd writer and put in the power cord, the laptop starts booting by itself and shuts down immediately. today it automatically booted without the dvd writer but it was a successful boot. How can i solve this?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

maybe there is a short circuit that is occurring. You could try another drive and see whether that occurs again.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
ksaraf

i reseated the dvd drive after 4 days today and its working perfectly now.. no glitches. how do i check now what the problem was/ is that caused this?. did a lenovo thinkvantage toolbox quick system test .. no problems there.

Punch Card
ksaraf

after reseating the drive, the system starts and before any display coming there is a beep and it turns off... after removing the dvd writer it is a normal boot. however, the laptop has started by itself without me pressing the power on button. this is happening a number of times. it starts up as soon as i put the power cord in it. how to solve this?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

if the laptop works properly with no drive installed, then that is what you should do. It is hard to say what is causing your problem, it could a short circuit, a dirty connector, or faulty component.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
ksaraf

thanks. i dont use the dvd writer anyway!