Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
ksaraf

Re: lenovo r61 not powering on

the problem has come up again. however, this time the "z" display logo is on when i poer the laptop on.. the dvd writer is not attached. the laptop shuts down when i power on. once when booting there were 4 beeps followed by four again when i pressed the "thinkpad" button. please help me out asap!

Punch Card
ksaraf

another observation: the laptop powers on right now and the "z" logo is on. however there is no display and after a minute when i press the fn key for 10 seconds the system powers off. i had wiped the screen with a wet cloth yesterday. however i made sure that the water did not seep into the laptop. could that be the problem?

Punch Card
ksaraf

ok.. i unplugged the battery and ac adapter and pressed the power button for 30 seconds. after replugging it took an eternity to start at first but it did!

now the laptop does turn on . however, when i put in the power adapter in the power socket, the laptop turns on without me pressing the powerr button. How do i solve this?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

have you tried cleaning the Thinkpad heatsink and reapplying a thermal paste.

Also, which GPU does your R61 have??
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
ksaraf

no..i havent cleaned the heatsink.
my GPU is nvidia quadro nvs 140m.. 128 mb
another issue:the laptop wont go into sleep anymore..when i press fn+f4, the laptop goes into sleep mode only for a second and it comes back from it to the logon menu and the bluetooth on the laptop switches on automatically.
lead_org

This sounds like a hardware problem, did you ever drop something or spilled anything on the laptop before?
Regards,

Jin Li

Punch Card
ksaraf

yes, there has been a minor liquid spill before due to which the trackpad clicks stopped working. they were replaced as the laptop was under warranty.Its not under warranty now. No spills apart from that. Ever since i tried to restore the dead battery by fiddling around with the power button pressing it again and again this problem has started about 10 days back. i had tried to restore the battery then.Any suggestion?
lead_org

it is hard to say what is the actual cause of the problem, try to use this diagnostic.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-56222.html
Regards,

Jin Li