ksaraf

northbridge and southbridge glue

My system specs:

thinkpad r61 type- 7743- a17

nvidia quadro nvs 140m graphics chip

120 gb hdd

4 gb ddr2 ram

intel core 2 duo 1.8 ghz

my r61 motherboard's northbridge and southbridge  is glued to the motherboard. the glue is a white semi-transparent hard fluid which is difficult to remove.This glue under the chip is making it hard to remove it. Could anyone please suggest me a solvent or anything which would help me take out the aforesaid parts without damaging the motherboard.

p.s. these are the faulty parts due to which i am experiencing power issues on my motherboard

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 799

Re: northbridge and southbridge glue

Unless you have *professional* re-balling equipment, you should NOT be even thinking about touching these chips.

You most certainly WILL damage the motherboard in the process.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Punch Card
ksaraf

this question has been raised to me by the authorised lenovo service center person. its not me but him who will do the work on the chip. he needs to know about the above mentioned as he says it would aid him in taking out the chip. please assist

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

if he doesn't have the skill or past experience to remove the glue, do you really think that the person can be trusted in doing this repair?

These glue are epoxy glue, they resist most types of chemicals, and those that can dissolve it can also dissolve other parts of the motherboard.

Most of the repair shop would use a heatgun or a soldering iron to melt the epoxy, have a look at the tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtHtONFqICg

P.S. You are obviously putting too faith in a rookie technician.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
ksaraf

thanks for that.. so is there any other alternative for me rather than replacing the entire motherboard of the laptop?

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 799

Most likely.

I'd be doubtful of the original diagnosis in the first place...

My opinion - and I've worked on thousands of ThinkPads over the past decade - that your "tech" has absolutely no clue what he/she is talking about.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Community Moderator
richk

If you are having power problems, it is usually mosfets, not northbridge or southbridge chips