Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
adept25

"The file exists" error (possibly ThinkVantage-related)

[ Edited ]

For awhile (like for the past year or so, maybe longer) I would see this file-copying popup that says "copying..." but would only last for a couple seconds before disappearing. It never says what it's copying to (at least I don't remember it does,) and even if I did know I couldn't examine it long enough to tell because it disappears as soon as it appears. It also seems to always do this around 11 AM, so it may be some sort of scheduled thing that I can cancel. I have a feeling it's some sort of ThinkVantage-related thing, because we all know how ThinkVantage claims it's being helpful and making things "convenient" when it's actually making things a heck of a lot worse! I've always wanted to get rid of it because it's EXTREMELY annoying and I have no idea what it's doing. But THEN, several months ago it started glitching itself up, and in the process making its "copying" sessions even worse for me! NOW, whenever it copies, a second after the copying popup appears it gives an error message with the horribly confusing message "The file exists." When I close it it always starts copying a second time and gives the error message a second time as well, making me have to click on it again to stop it. It's just so horribly annoying, unnecessary and pointless. Anyone else have this problem? Please help, this is getting out of hand!  My operating system I use is Windows XP.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: "The file exists" error (possibly ThinkVantage-related)

Sound like the ThinkVantage Toolbox doing its (strange) thing.

I just dealt with this on a friend's T400/XP.  For him, we just  uninstalled his existing Toolbox and installed the latest version.

That seems to have gotten rid of this strange annoyance.

I don't see your machine type in your post, but I _think_ you'll find the appropriate Toolbox version here: Lenovo Diagnostics Software: New Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox Update

(IIRC the whole story of the popup is a silly piece of code that counts to 100 and then gets stuck.  It's around here somewhere if you are interested.)

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Blue Screen Again
adept25

But if I update to the newest version, will it still do the "Copying..." thing all the time at 11, or is there a way to turn it off? Like updating ThinkVantage would solve the "The File Exists" problem but would it solve the "Copying..." problem? I really wanna disable it because it's quite annoying and intrusive, and I don't want it to do that against my will every day at 11.

Is that possible to do without disabling the entire ThinkVantage system? Really the only thing I use ThinkVantage for is the battery meter and the volume display. Is it possible to disable EVERYTHING except for those things?

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

I haven't noticed the "copying" thing on my friend's laptop - or mine - since updating.   It may be doing something in the background, though.

Why not just try uninstalling the Toolbox and installing the new one and see if it works for you.  Or just uninstall the Toolbox if you aren't using it.

You can uninstall most anything.  AFAIK, Toolbox is separate from things like the Power Manager, Battery Meter and the on-screen display.  Toolbox is a collection of diagnostic utilities and you can run just fine without it.

Most things also have config settings that let you disable or modify them w/out uninstalling.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

What's DOS?
ligiahag7902

Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.

watch movies online free