Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
ereid

r51 Think Pad LCD screen

My four year old  R51  1830 AKU CD screen has gone almost all black. I have tested the computer with an external monitor and it works fine. So my question is: What are my options? The unit is off extended warranty. last year.
ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 732

Re: r51 Think Pad LCD screen

Welcome to the forum!

If your backlight is failing, it can be replaced, although it would probably cheaper and easier to replace the whole LCD, or better yet, the whole lid.

Has your LCD shown any reddish/pinkish colour on the initial boot prior to this?

Good luck and let us know.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
What's DOS?
pd1ab

I have just had the same problem on my 4 year old R51 1829 9LU i.e. my screen has dark, I can barely see text. The external monitor works fine.

On power up, the IBM BIOS Logo pops up, pinkish, with lines and then disappears. The Windows splash screen and mouse cursor displays for about a second and then the screen goes dark.

Is this an inverter problem or a back light problem? Can one replace the inverter without removing the entire lid (as described in the HW manual)?

Thanks

ajkula66

@pd1ab:

What you're describing are the textbook symptoms of a failing backlight. Replacing it is quite a tricky job.

Given that you have an IPS LCD on your ThinkPad, it is definitely worth saving. PM me if you would be interested in recommendation for a shop that specializes in that type of work, and takes care of all of my out-of-warranty FlexViews.

Good luck. 

Cheers,

George

F = FrankenPad

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
What's DOS?
pd1ab

Thanks for the info. I also noticed that when I manually press the little sleep button under the lid, I can get the screen to display again for a second or 2. It buzzes and then goes dark again.

I am in the NYC area so any recommendations on service shops would be welcome. I also saw an LCD on e-bay that was relatively inexpensive. Repair or replace?

ajkula66

I don't know what you deem as relatively inexpensive, and whether you're referring to a brand new or used LCD.

Brand new LCD for your machine is in $200-275 neighbourhood. Remember, not all 15" LCDs for R51 are IPS FlexView like the one you have, and these can be sourced for a lot less.

I work in NYC and will tell you that no one repairs backlights. The shop I use is in Illinois, and I have nothing but highest praise for the people who run it. PM me if you need details.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

F = FrankenPad

What's DOS?
leahnewell

Hi,

I have an R51 1836-H9U ... 15 inch monitor.  About 9 months ago the screen started going pink for times.  Finally about 4 months ago the screen went completely dark (but if you looked closely you could faintly see the screen.

Now I have an external monitor (19 inch LCD) attached using the serial port.  That was working okay except my laptop was obviously no longer portable.  About a month ago the external monitor started going pinkish when the laptop or screen got budged ... like moving the data cable between the two started degrading the image.  

I want to get my laptop fixed and want to know what this is a symptom of so I don't have to repair more than is necessary.

Also, ajkula66 mentioned he knew a place in Illinois that repaira backlights - if this seems to be the problem.  Luckily I live in central Illinois and could easily get the PC anywhere in Illinois for repair fairly easily.

Could you please send me a note about where this place is in Illinois and what you think these symptoms sounbd like?

I am currently using my R51 (purchased about 4 years ago) with the external monitor.  I have set the PC up to not even try to display an image on the laptop screen to help cut down on the heat build up.  But when I do set the laptop to display it will display a few seconds when it comes alive then goes off and only the secondary screen is lit up.

Paper Tape
79volvo

Re: r51 Think Pad LCD screen - backlight or inverter?

I bought a refurb R51 from IBM/Lenovo a few years ago and not long after the warranty expired, so did the backlight - so I thought.  I replaced the whole lid assembly with one found on e-bay but the screen was still dark.  So, I bought an LCD that was like new and just installed it in the original lid, and it is still NG.  Could I have two bad inverters or three bad backlights????  I am too stubborn to give up, but this is taking way too much time and it is sooo frustrating!  Any help in figuring out the cause would be most appreciated!

P.S.:  Works fine with monitor, and the LCD (all three) are okay - the video is there, but very dark.