Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
kens9ball
Accepted Solution

r61i boots to rescue and recovery 4

my r61i boots to rescue and recovery 4. i have a full set of recovery discs from startup to final but i can not get them to work. how can i use those to restore my system.

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 636

Re: r61i boots to rescue and recovery 4

If you are trying to recover the system to factory state, please read on. If not, please provide more information about what you would like to achieve.

Questions, and hopefully answers;

are you pressing the ThinkVantage button at boot to enter R&R and then trying to use the cds?

what selections are you making in the menu in order to recover your system? Recover to a backup / image made on cds / dvds?

If the system can boot to R&R you may not actually need to use the disks, it should be possible to recover the system from the service partition.   ---  When in the R&R menu choose to restore your system, do not select to restore from a backup / image but rather you must choose to restore to factory condition.

If you are booting from the R&R boot cd, rather than pressing the ThinkVantage button, you need to make exactly the same selections as noted above, it will then request you to insert the appropriate disk when required.

only relevent if you have booted from the R&R disk; are you receiving any messages about the inserted disk being the wrong disk?

If you click on no when you see the above message, probably regarding the supplemental disk, the recovery should then continue it's progress untill completion.

Hope some of that helps, if not please provide more details.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
kens9ball

thanks andy. the unit starts in rr all by itself. when i attempt to restore from local hard drive nothing appears. when i attempt to restore from cd it says to insert disc label "final c". when i run that disc i get an error that says "one or more partitions could not be restored because the partition does not exist".  when i tried this the first time it actually ran until it got to the point that it said to restart, well it would not restart so i held the power button down until it shut off, then when restarted is when it began starting in rr and then giving me this error when i try to run the disc set.

so i have a full set of discs that i have used and know are good from startup disc, 1c, 2c, 3c, 4c, and final c. when i start computer it goes straight to rr as though there is no operating system. please please help me.......

andyP

Are the disks you have from Lenovo or did you create them yourself from the system?

If the disks are from Lenovo you need to boot from the boot disc and select to recover to factory.

If you created them yourself, did you create them using the tool to create recovery media or did you create them using R&R? This is important.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
kens9ball

i created the discs myself but i honestly can not say for sure whether from rr or not. another note is that when i click system information from rr the hard drive capacity and free space both read not available
andyP

Thanks,

exactly how many disks do you have and how are they labeled if different from 1c 2c etc as previously posted?  Please also note if cd or dvd.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
kens9ball

thanks for your efforts.
startup disc
1c
2c
3c
4c
final c
5 total discs, i did handwrite lenovo rescue and recovery on them
Paper Tape
kens9ball

sorry, they are dvd. the info would not fit on cd's i do remember. it also took several hours (6 if i remember correctly) to make them
andyP

The startup disk should have no more than about 270MB on it, the others should be full except maybe for the final which could be empty or full, please confirm if possible.

Also, can you boot from the startup disk?

Do you also have the ability to create another bootable disc from an iso image on another computer?

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
kens9ball

startup disc has 543mb
1c 2c 3c 4c all over 4gb
final c 1.68 gb
have another pc but does not have dvd-r drive. i do have 2gb usb stick if that can be used.
i do not know how to try to boot it from the startup disc