Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
unkthinkpad

Can the SL410 Optical Bay support a hard drive?

I've purchased this optical hard drive caddy. In hopes of running an SSD from the optical bay. (Essentially an SSD is just an oversized flash drive that doesn't emit much heat, so a poorly ventilated optical bay is perfect for the drive IMO). I want to keep all my documents, movies, songs, etc on a slow 1TB hard drive in the hard drive bay.

1.) Does anyone know if there are any hardware limitations that will not enable the hard drive convertor to actually function?

2.) Does anyone know what the speed is of the SATA port in the HDD bay and the ODD bay? (do they differ?)

Thanks

Paper Tape
Tehnoman

Re: Can the SL410 Optical Bay support a hard drive?

Hi, unkthinkpad.

I am also thinking about getting optical hard drive caddy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-hard-drive-Caddy-Lenovo-ThinkPad-SL400-SL410-/280713849154?pt=PCC_Drives...

However searching the internet did not reveal much discussion about SL410 and second hard drive. If I may ask, how the experience was for you and what was the speed for optical bay?

Presently I am using SSD as main drive and HDD as external USB drive. But it is a little bit irritating when I want to take computer with me. Since I don't use the optical drive that much, thought I could put second drive there. I was thinking about putting HDD in there, but you have a point, that due to not so good ventilation that may not be a wise thing.

Hope to hear from You.

Thanks for reading.

Guru
ColonelONeill

There are some third party adapters for it.

AFAIK, it's not SATA 3Gbps.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1099/688/1377, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Paper Tape
Tehnoman

Yes, as I already said, I have found such adapter.

Decided to buy anyway. Thought I should report my findings, if anyone else tries to search:

1) The Optical bay SATA port is different than all other (can operate only at 1.5Gbps speed, instead of 3.0 Gbps as others), as ColonelOneill correctly stated;

2) For some reason beyond my comprehension, the HDD that has been put in optical drive bay is NOT seen by BIOS at boot time, but operates normally in Windows.

Just curious, do anyone know how to solve problem 2? Searching the internet did not reveal anything useful.

Here is screenshot showing that Hitachi SATA 2 drive is recognised just fine, but operates only at SATA 1 speed:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/portinfoopthdd.png

What's DOS?
gdzqbg

Hello, I'm new here, I hope it's tolerated to revive old thread. I'm exactly in that situation. I would like to add a SSD to my SL410. I would expect to get the OS/programs on the SSD and keep the data on the standard HD.

For obvious reason I would like the bios to find the SSD with the OS when booting. Does that mean my only option is to put the SSD in place of the current HD and the current HD in the optical bay?

Or would the laptop start normally if the OS is installed on the SSD in the optical bay?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

The OS on the SSD within the optical bay would also boot up normally, just change the boot order on the SL410 bios.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
gdzqbg

thanks for the confirmation. Now I just need to get the budget and get it done