Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
isch

Re: Hello from the SL team!

Hi,

I bought the SL 500 because it seemed to be the perfect notebook for me and I have always heard  of the good linux support. 

But now, after I installed Ubuntu a lot of problems shocked me.

There are no drivers for the webcam, the hotkey buttons and the fingerprint device available. ie I can not control the brightness of my display. 

I would be very glad, if you could handle something, concerning these probems.

isch

community supermod
erik

isch, welcome to the forum!

you might find the linux discussion area of our forum of interest.   perhaps someone else with an SL-series ThinkPad has installed linux and can help you find an answer.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Token Ring
Sxooter

The brightness control buttons on my SL400 work just fine, but I had to turn off the OS Stuff for automatic brightening / dimming, as they work backwards, because the SL series break the ACPI spec for brightness settings (got them in the wrong order).
Token Ring
garytr23

sxooter, how'd you do that?  You say you can use your brightness keys properly in linux?  I couldn't think of a way to do that except by killing kernel acpi totally or using a customized dsdt.  I'm using ubuntu jaunty, and currently they just killed the reversed control I had before in 8.10.
Lenovo SL300 Owner
earning an MSECE at GATech, with undergrad in BME.
Token Ring
Sxooter

I didn't do anything, I'm just running 8.04.1 on an SL400.  I wonder if the problem is your later kernel or that you have an SL300.  I'll reboot into 8.10 beta6 and upgrade it to the latest 8.10 and see how it works.
What's DOS?
frekja

cracks in the cover material :-(

[ Edited ]

Hello Brandon & anyone who can help

my SL300 is now one and a half years old, and although I am rather happy with the way everything works, I do have a problem...

The material around the screen and the keyboard already has two small cracks/fractures.

Although I didn't throw it down or anything! Just from normal use!!!

Is there any way of replacing those parts ( I guess its just the cover material that needs to be replaced)?

A friend of mine owns the SL400 and she has similar problems!

I think it's rather sad to spend so much money on a thinkpad (that is supposed to be "durable" (your own words)) and then it starts cracking after such a short time under normal use! :-(

If there is any way you can help me, I'd be really thankful!

Greetings from Germany,

frekja

Fanfold Paper
pgru

hi brandon, good to have you here. I have a serious problem with my sl 500 and the internal ericsson modem. I have already posted my issue "blue screen because of modem driver" a few months ago. this problem hasn´t been solved and I am kind of really frustrated having at least one blue screen per day and a couple of connection losses per day anyhow. I would appreciate at least a feedback from lenovo when this problem will be solved as I have seen that a lot other people do also have this problem! thank you! best regards pawel

Fanfold Paper
alexits

привет! посмотрел красивыу песни которые тебе спели. у  нас  говорят  "хвали себя  моя  губонька". сам компьютор  не  плохой,  но  более  поганой  документации я  не  встречал. для  того  чтобы  это  оценить  компании  Lenovo  надо  дать  свой  продукт  обычному  потребителю  без  настроек и,  чтобы  он  сам  попробовал  его  настроить.  с колько  времени  у  него  уйдет  на  это?  если  у  обычного  потребителя  нет  специальной  подготовки  то  он  иообще  сам  замучается  прежде  чем  настроит  ноутбук.  кроме  того,  нет  технической  поддерки  вашей  продукции.  до  всего  приходится  додумываться  самому. на те  адреса,  которые  указаны  в  вашей  документациивсе  письма  уходят  как  в  бочку.  лично  я  до  сих  пор  не  могу  установить  драйвер  на  одно  устройство.  диспетчер  устройств  до  сих  пор  выдает  информацию  " одно  не  опознаное  устройсво ". а  вообще,  желаю  удачи!   

community supermod
erik

alexits - please post in english as we don't have the means to properly translate russian.

thank you!

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Fanfold Paper
pgru

hello, any chance to get an answer from lenovo regarding the ongoing blue screen problem with the wwan drivers for the internal ericsson modem on the sl500? this is REALLY REALLY REALLY annoying and I can´t understand why it is not possible to bring out a proper solution for this, at least it is a driver problem, isn´t it???