Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
zliu205
Accepted Solution

Help: Install "Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows XP" failed

First of all, has anyone successfully downgraded their vista to xp in a SL400/SL500 machine?

I had just followed the "Windows XP clean Install/Downgrade Guide" from here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=188992

and got stuck at the step of  "Install Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows XP"

The "Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows XP" for SL400/SL500 (note: this driver is different from T/R61) that I downloaded from lenovo support cannot be installed. Everytime when I followed the instruction from the official support page to run 2ksetup.exe, it just gave me a prompt saying "install failed". I did also try to run "2ksetup.exe" together with "2ksetup.ini" as the official support page instructs for unattended install and nothing had happened (apparently it failed too).

PS: this installation is done after the intel chipset is installed as the "guide page" from notebookreview instructs.

I had also tried to use the driver for T/R 61 since in the official support page it looks compatible. The installation can be done successfully, but when I switch the SATA drive from "compatibility" to "AHCI" in the bios, I cannot start windows (everytime it showed a blue screen and automatically restart).When i switched back everything became normal......

Anyone has any idea how to handle this?

Punch Card
trikka

Re: Help: Install "Intel Matrix Storage Manager for Windows XP" failed

[ Edited ]

Clean XP install on my SL400 worked like a breeze. Actually felt kinda spoilt having a full set of official XP drivers available, because my previous install was on a HP with virtually no XP support beyond what users had pieced together in forums.

I didn't like the idea of switching the SATA BIOS setting back and forth, so I slipstreamed the ICH9M AHCI driver (along with SP3) using the MSFN guide. After that, XP installs without complaining, and it was just a matter of downloading and installing drivers using the notebookreview.com thread as a checklist on what to install and in what order.

A few notes to the notebookreview guide:

• I installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager normally; didn't need to follow the special instructions in the guide. Probably didn't need to install at all, but you get the utility so you can check NCQ etc. is working. 
  • ACPI Power Management is named ThinkPad Power Management driver in the SL drivers list.
  • If you slipstream SP3, you'll already have UAA audio driver, so you can skip that.
  • Skip Atmel TPM (Trusted Platform Module). There's no such driver for the SL series.
Message Edited by trikka on 09-30-2008 11:44 PM
Paper Tape
zliu205

Thanks very much bro, the problem is perfectly resolved using your method.
Punch Card
trikka

Perhaps you can help me now :smileyhappy:

When I plug in or unplug the power cord, the monitor brightness gets reset (brightest for AC and one level below brightest for battery) instead of keeping what I set using Fn-Home/End. Does yours do the same?
Maliha

trikka wrote:
When I plug in or unplug the power cord, the monitor brightness gets reset (brightest for AC and one level below brightest for battery) instead of keeping what I set using Fn-Home/End. Does yours do the same?
I swear I have seen an option either in the BIOS or the thinkvantage battery manager where you tell it to remain at a constant level no matter while you're plugged in or running on batteries.
 (Few minutes later)

It's in the BIOS, Config>Display>Brightness>High
It says there that it will also suck your battery more quickly.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Punch Card
trikka

[ Edited ]

Hmm. I checked it and have Config>Display>Brightness>Normal. The option is greyed and can't be changed.

BIOS version is 1.12. The latest on the support site is 1.08 and the readme gives the ID for that and previous versions as 6AET39WW-6AET42WW. Mine is 6AET46WW.

Next week I'm going to stick a spare 2.5" HD in and reinstall the factory Vista image, so I can check whether this (and my headphone volume issue) has anything to do with my XP install.

Message Edited by trikka on 10-04-2008 11:34 PM
Maliha

trikka wrote:

Hmm. I checked it and have Config>Display>Brightness>Normal. The option is greyed and can't be changed.

BIOS version is 1.12. The latest on the support site is 1.08 and the readme gives the ID for that and previous versions as 6AET39WW-6AET42WW. Mine is 6AET46WW.

My BIOS' version is 1.06 and am able to change the option from Normal to High or vice versa.
 Next time try this thing while power cord is plugged in and start from a cold boot. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel