Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
knorst

Re: Horrendous DPC latency?

@randomdude,

sorry, my post was obviously false alarm.  i disabled the thinkpad battery icon in the taskbar, which only leaded to a better behaviour concerning the latency, but that was already reported previously.

lenovo has still something to do!

i tried to report it via email, but had apparently the wrong email adress. and they didn't forward my mail, nor they told me the right one. i guess you can only call the hardware support by phone, but i ain't  got no phone, so i capitulated.

does anybody know the emailadress for hardware support?

knorst

greetings knorst

Fanfold Paper
RandomDude

Thanks knorst

I would indeed like to complain to someone in the driver department... the issue appears to be in more than one driver - specifically AHCI and Ethernet NDIS driver on my thinkpad.

Either that or wait for Windows 7 which i saw someone say isn't impacted by this issue.

Fanfold Paper
RandomDude

[ Edited ]

I THINK I HAVE A WORK AROUND (as an alternative to disabling the battery manager/ethernet/wlan):

After spending all day racking my brain over this I've found something that helps:

- Remove Thinkpad Power Manager Software

- Install Notebook Hardware Control (http://www.pbus-167.com/)

- Go into NHC - then Settings tab - Show all NHC options and settings

- Go into Battery Tab, then Show Advanced Battery settings

- Select " Use alternative function to detect the actual 'System Power Status' "

Voila!!!!

I've been sitting in firefox, surfing the web and using the trackpad, trackpoint over wireless with everything enabled (ie usb) and DPC latency checker has not had even ONE yellow bar!!! Havn't noticed any mouse issues either!

You still get your battery meter and CPU power control.

Bugs:

* CPU fan appears to be running on full, small price to pay I suspect, until someone can point out a way to control the fans via AHCI and NHC.

Anyway, please try it out and post here!!

Message Edited by RandomDude on 03-15-2009 01:39 AM
Message Edited by RandomDude on 04-16-2009 12:23 AM
Token Ring
lenovousersl500

[ Edited ]

Actually, all you really need to do is install Intel's latest Matrix Storage Manager driver on Intel's website, and you'll see significantly reduced DPC latency.  Keep in mind Matrix Storage Driver is only for those who do *not* have turbo memory installed in their SLs.  Those of you who have turbo memory,  I hope and assume the same results when installing the latest turbo memory driver.

Regards,

Message Edited by lenovousersl500 on 03-15-2009 01:48 AM
Agotthelf
Topics: 135
Kudos: 241
Solutions: 182

Hello,

the DPC latency problem seems not only a Lenovo, but an Intel problem. Dell´s Latitudes are also affected.

Please refer also to this very big and comprehensive thread, a poll on Notebookreview

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
front-of-house

lenovousersl500 wrote:

Actually, all you really need to do is install Intel's latest Matrix Storage Manager driver on Intel's website, and you'll see significantly reduced DPC latency.  Keep in mind Matrix Storage Driver is only for those who do *not* have turbo memory installed in their SLs.  Those of you who have turbo memory,  I hope and assume the same results when installing the latest turbo memory driver.

Regards,

Message Edited by lenovousersl500 on 03-15-2009 01:48 AM

Well, I just tried the new Matrix Storage Mgr. and have a few more spikes than I had previously.  :smileysad:

I should have left it well enough alone. Now when I try to rollback the driver, the rollback option is grayed-out.

Any ideas on how to get back to my old driver? The "old one" had significantly better DPC results than this new one.

SL500 2746 CTO, 2.0 7370, 3 GB ram, Vista Hm. Prem.SP2
Bios ver. 1.24
Serial Port
bemymonkey

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, I've got pretty much the same problem, albeit not as bad as a few people here seem to be complaining about.

I get spikes whenever applications are opening or when scrolling large sites in Firefox (pegged to the top of the graph, like 30,000us+) very quickly with "Standard Scrolling" enabled on the Ultranav stick (that's actually the only sure-fire way to get a red bar - open a site like slashdot.org with 300+ comments/posts, and then hold the middle button and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page in one go)

Other than that, I don't have a lot of problems (even though this one is very annoying - everything's fine when the machine is idle, but as soon as you start working on something or surfing the web... everything goes to **bleep**) - mostly hovers between 40 and 150 us, mostly <60 if the machine is idle. This is with a relatively clean install of XP Pro SP3 (Ultranav driver and utility, power management driver and software, hotkey drivers, sound + video drivers...).

Has anyone seen any improvement with an external (USB or FireWire) audio interface? Or an Expresscard device?

Message Edited by bemymonkey on 07-06-2009 11:12 AM
Serial Port
bemymonkey

[ Edited ]

What, nobody left here?

I just tried deactivating all the power saving options in the BIOS, and that lowered my idle latency to around 20us - which is awesome, but I'm still getting spikes in the red every now and then... rather strange.

-edit- Strange, I'm still getting the spikes in the DPC Latency Checker, but no audio glitches corresponding to the spikes - there are still glitches every now and then, but the DPC Latency Checker doesn't show spikes there... WTF?

Message Edited by bemymonkey on 07-07-2009 02:59 AM
Serial Port
bemymonkey

Wow, this just keeps getting better and better - Uninstalling the nVidia video driver results in pristine audio quality... is there a different version that one might install (the newest nVidia driver packages won't install on Lenovo notebooks)?

How did this get through quality control?

Punch Card
hyvokar

[ Edited ]

Hi! I had a same prob with my SL500. The dpclatency was shooting near 10000us and spiking over 160.000!

My problem was completely solved by upgrading Intel Matrix Storage Driver: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101

The latest version was released just a few days ago, 07/17/2009 (the driver date in the package is 06/04/2009 and the version 8.9.0.1023).

After installing it I rerun the dpclatency test and the latency was dropped near 50us. 

I'm running clean install of XP SP3 Pro, SL500 2746-P8G, 4GB. Hope this helps! Cheers!

Message Edited by hyvokar on 07-20-2009 12:51 PM