Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
enssps

INSTALLING A HARD DRIVE

If I install a new hard drive on my SL500, can I just remove the old one and install the new drive. Is there anything I will have to do after it is installed. The new drive will require the same software, VISTA, as the old drive.

Maliha

Re: INSTALLING A HARD DRIVE

Hi enssps,

You can install any modern version of Windows on the new drive as long as you own the license. If you're using recovery media then it'll recover your system to factory state, just like as it was the day you bought it. For clean install, you would need to install drivers for your ThinkPad, just install ThinkVantage System Update and it'll automatically find and install drivers for you:- http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=TVSU-UPDATE

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Guru
ColonelONeill

You can also do a direct image if you have the requisite software. Windows has a system image backup built in too.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Paper Tape
Leonstry

I have a SL 510. Is it possible to increase the hard drive storage capacity from 350GB? Can I use the current hard drive as a second hard drive, and can I install a new hard drive with more storage?
Fanfold Paper
huanvlh

You can replace you current hard-drive with any hard-drive capacity up to 1 TB ( please check your BIOS version ), Of course you can use your current hard drive as external hard drive via USB external hard drive box.