Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
rizwan787

Infinite looping of "Your disk needs to be checked for consistency"

So I just sent in my lenovo (sl400) to have the left hinge of the screen fixed. Well I got the computer back and turned it one once just to make sure everything was still working, and it was. The next time I opened it up and tried turning it on this happened: after the initial Thinkpad screen comes up, I get this screen of text that begins with "One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" then it checked it in 3 stages. After about 5 minutes it finishes and then Microsoft begins loading and it says "Configuring Updates Stage 3 of 3 - 0%" and then it stays at 0% for another 5 minutes, then the computer restarts and sends me back into the "consistency" message and this continues for an infinite loop. At one point I did a hard shut down and got the option to repair the error, which I happily tried, getting the message that errors were trying to be fixed and may require the computer restarting several times. I gladly left it to do so overnight, but after checking it this morning, I'm still having the exact same problem. I'm at my wit's end, I don';t know what's wrong and I don't know what to do. Can any one help?

Paper Tape
MaouTsaou

Re: Infinite looping of "Your disk needs to be checked for consistency"

Hi,

Interesting problem.

Sounds like the dirty bit is flaged on the drive.

Will the machine let you boot it in safe mode?

Usually it's going to be delete or f10 or f2 keys and often holding down most any keyboard key will work too.

As I recall it was a command prompt command (run as admin, right click to choose in normal mode at least) in the start menu in the accessories file.

At the command prompt type

CHKNTFS /X {your drive letter}:

this should make the thing skip the check on the next reboot.

At that point it's ready for a restart which should skip the disk check and maybe give the update a chance to clear or at least give you a normal boot to work from.

If it does allow you a normal boot then you'll need to run through a full scan to clear that dirty bit.

Chkdsk /f /r {your drive letter}: from the command prompt will do it.

To verrify a dirty bit set on the drive from the command prompt type

fsutil dirty query {your drive letter}:

It's worth a shot I think.

What's DOS?
rizwan787

Re: Infinite looping of "Your disk needs to be checked for consistency"

Unfortunately no, it won't even let me get into safe move to even pull up the command prompt. Whenever I try to enter any kind of safe mode it starts to load put then ends with "please wait" and reboots back into the loop. It looks like I'm just going to have to do a full restore to factory settings. Good thing I backed up by hard drive before sending it to lenovo, but still, this is a real inconvenience. But I do wonder, will I have to buy and install another Windows Office package after the full restore? Cause that would suck. :smileysad: