Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
pulsar999
Accepted Solution

Left hinge of my SL400 laptop has broken

Left hinge of my Lenovo SL400 laptop has broken for twice now. First time it was in warranty so Lenovo had repaired it and sent me back, but now my warranty has expired, I don't know why Lenovo sells these Laptops( as i have seen many people complaining on SL400 left hinges).  I had bought left hinges in Ebay, could anyone tell me how to fix it?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,234
Solutions: 1,323

Re: Left hinge of my SL400 laptop has broken

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-69929.html

this hardware manual would show you how to change every component in your laptop, including your hinge. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
pulsar999

Thanx

What's DOS?
ZirP

I have the exact same problem with my SL400, and my warranty just expired. I was thinking of ordering the hinge from ebay as well, how did it work out for you to fix it yourself? There seems to be quite a few steps in the process?

Paper Tape
Sukhvinder

can u tell me how much time it takes and is it really necessary to follow each and every step in the manual ...

What's DOS?
sfyen

I have the same problem with my left hinge which broke just by opening.

Did anyone how how long it will take me to fix it by myself?

Was it easy process?

What's DOS?
jamsheervp

:robotsad:

me and most of my friends are using Lenovo SL400 laptop, after the warranty period, my laptop's left Hinges broken, when i'm checking with others, same issue they faced before me..! so i think Lenovo made this part only for one year life... and when i ask for replacement, the service center peoples are charging almost OMR: 30.000/- ($ 80), i don't know this is including service charge or not... BAD LUCK..!!! 

What's DOS?
afsee

The left hinge on my SL400 has broken twice now. I don't think there is any point in replacing it any more. Its a waste of time. Poorly constructed. There should've been a recall or something to fix the problem.
Blue Screen Again
tiberius

Happened to me too. I took it to service center here in Hong Kong and after 3 weeks of no reply they quoted for me HK$1080 (EURO90)HD$400 for the hinge and HK$680 for the basecover and bezel. It sounds like a totally rip off + the attitude of the staff. When I tried to complain about the quolity of the product he asked me if I am going to pay or not... Any idea how much they charge in other places?

Many Thanks
Blue Screen Again
tiberius

SL400 Left hinge broken costs and story

I hope I am wrong and is just a matter accidentally bad handled.

Owner of SL400 bought in Hong Kong. While initially a very big fan and wholeheartedly recommended to everyone, now I am rather disappointed. I learned recently that the hinge on SL400 model, is a common issue with this type. It did happen to me. While I was initially OK with the idea that being out of warranty I have to pay the repair when I realized that is a common issue I was not so sure anymore of the quality of Lenovo. I took it to Lenovo center in Hong Kong. The employee was far from being friendly and had an attitude. While I was trying to find out whether there can be a discount or find out if Lenovo covers the issue without warranty the employee abruptly asked me: Are you going to pay or not. I firstly blamed the language gap. I told the gentleman behind the counter that with this kind of quality I am not sure whether I will buy another Lenovo. Then he said ironically that that was my own option and the cost for repair will be HKD400(USD52). He also confirmed that the case - bezel is OK. After 19 days of waiting a confirmation for the repair I finally got it only after I called and enquired the status. The email said that the bezel also has to be replaced at HKD680(USD88)...

I will contact them and try to clarify the matter. I think is too expensive for a piece of hardware that should be designed better. I mention that I treated the laptop with care and the state of the case could easily prove it.

Maybe I should fix it myself