Support in other languages: 
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: Left hinge of my SL400 laptop has broken

i have seen quite a few SL4/500 machines failing this way. I think it is probably an intrinsic design issue.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
tiberius

Lenovo agreed to fix only the hinge for HKD400(USD52). Both hinges changed. Later they informed me that i should still replace the basel as I would have problems with the power adapter jack. Upon receiving the laptop i could notice that the power jack jiggles. I don't get it as the jack is on the right while the demaged hinge was on the left. According to the technician that might have been a hidden problem revealed by the inspection...

I will stay like this an fix it at some 3rd party shop or myself 

Paper Tape
mgrenata

Hi guys!

Well, I have the same problem, doubled. One year ago, left hinge of my SL400 broke. It was no longer in warranty, and the assistance wanted R$150 (about USD80) just to replace the hinges (plus R$95 ~ USD50 for the hinges themselves). I decided just to buy the hinges and replace them myself, using that manual Lenovo has. Quite a job, as the ones who did it may have noted, you have to disassembly the whole thing just to remove the screen. But everything went well, and it didn't break again (so far) as happened to someone there. BUT, a month ago, another SL400 (this time my brother's) had the very same problem. And when I say the very same problem, I mean it. We compared the broken parts, and found out that they broke right at the same place, and in the same way. I'm attaching some pictures I took so you can see it.

This is a huge problem for Lenovo, who sells their products as strong and reliable. Indeed, despite this problem, my laptop has never give me any disappointments, but find out that this hinges problem is very common, and is happening exactly at the same point make me just don't trust the company ever again.

Just to make things clear, I never used my brother's laptop, and neither he used mine, we live separately, with different weathers and behaviors, so I can eliminate any problem in the way we used our laptops, and any environmental causes.

The two left hinges, each one broke in two places, where they were fixed:

Two left hinges, both broken in 3 parts

Hinges with one part in original place

One of broken parts

Second broken parts

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

[ Edited ]

Such similar failure mechanisms point to design or manufacturing defects.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
sharijorge

include me in the club who have this problem.  my son's lenovo broke the left hinge, one day after having it a year.  don't know what we'll do....

Paper Tape
roenmumo

Hola amigos, esta es la primera vez que me comunico. Este problema me sucedió después de 2 años (vizagra izquierda rota). Lo llevé a un servicio técnico cercano (Mundo Portatil, Avda La Florida, 9660 Local17, fono 2872639) me cobraron $35.000 (US$70). Necesito ayuda para poder activar el boton lenovo care. Cambie de Vista a W7, todas las teclas y dispositivos funcionan perfecto, excepto este boton (no hace nada).

Paper Tape
shomronon

it is unclear why, but ever since lenovo bought the thinkpad brand they decided to make the thinkpads it as weak as possible, thus, they redesigned the fan and left hinge part so as to break off easily in order for u to buy a rollcage every month or so. to add insult to the injury, the thinkpads after t60 have less and less magnesium in them while making the fan area even more fragile so the left hinge will break every day.
What's DOS?
cpyiu2000

My Left hinge of my Lenovo SL400 laptop has broken after one year warranty too. Just knew many people have this kind of same problem.

Disappointed product.... 

What's DOS?
arian019

I have the same problem now for almost a year! First, my left hinge broke, then after a month or two the right hinge broke too. When I asked the Lenovo repair center they said it would cost me 780HKD.
It's really difficult to use, I always have to find something to support it. Can someone teach me how to replace it?
Paper Tape
mgrenata

I imagine how anoying it is to use with BOTH hinges broken!

So, replace it is not easy, but not a monster either.

Get the hardware manual (have it opened in some other computer, because you will need it all the time!) here:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/43y6762_03.pdf

The page 141 of the pdf file is the removing hinges itself, but you have a extense list of things to do first to get there. Follow it in order, try to keep orginized (while I was removing the screws and parts of the laptop, I was making a sort of a map with them, so everything goes back to the same place) and have time!

I would also advice you to have a good tool, and be careful with the screws... I had some hard time with one spoiled screw and had to use a drill right above my motherboard to take it off... It was spoiled from another time I removed it, so I don't believe you get it now, but make sure it doesn't happen in another time!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes =)