Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
hankn

Re: Misc. SL500 fixes including: WinXP downgrade + SATA DRIVERS, slow HDD / keyboard, slow wireless

I found the trick to install SATA via:

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=SL_ThinkPads&thread.id=1426

Amazing how useful this forum is.

Fanfold Paper
redrock

Re: Misc. SL500 fixes including: WinXP downgrade + SATA DRIVERS, slow HDD / keyboard, slow wireless

I was planning to downgrade to WinXP. However I have found the Vista Basic runs decently on my SL400 (2Ghz, 2Gig RAM).

How much of an increase in performance would one expect from going to XP ? Also with the advent of Win 7 it should be easier to upgrade from Vista, so I might just bide my time with Vista and wait to upgrade.

Any thoughts ?

Punch Card
hyvokar

Well, basically I'm against Vista in every turn... but if it isnt broken, DONT FIX IT :smileyhappy:

I've been having a lot of issues with Vista and that's why I went for a clean install with XP on my SL500.

If you really need an extra boost on your laptop, I'd suggest 2gigs more mem and getting rid of unneccessary programs; a lot easier and faster than going back to XP :smileyhappy:

Just my c2, cheers!

What's DOS?
jsansonetti1

Thank you so much for the step by step.  I am an IT Director and have 20 SL500's to image and i needed to erase the utility partition as well as get ride of all unwanted software.  I have an XP SP 3 volume lic DVD, and it still did not work until i followed your steps.  I kept getting a blue screen will hardware failure errors.

Thanks again! 

Paper Tape
HollyBee

SL500 SMART Short Self Test FAILED

I recently downloaded and ran the Lenovo ThinkVantage toolbox.  My SL500 passed every diagnostic test except for the S.M.A.R.T. Short Self Test, which failed.

If there is an Estended Self Test, I couldn't find it.

Is my not-very-old laptop at risk? 

Fanfold Paper
Technokiddy

Im running Windows XP on my SL500. It took me ages to get it running fine. Currently its running very smooth. Everything is working no weird cracking sounds in the audio etc. What I found out is that it matters ALOT in what order you install certain drivers.

I have made an image of my installation so i can just place it back and safe myself the hassle of getting everything to work again.

If I find the time, I will make a slipstream installation for the Lenovo SL-500 series. This will save lots of users time when installing windows XP :smileyhappy:

Fanfold Paper
vtmemo

HollyBee --

This thread is for discussion re. the downgrade instructions only.  You may have better luck finding an answer to your question by posting it as a new thread.  Good luck!  :smileyhappy:

Technokiddy --

Glad you found the instructions useful!  Making a slipstreamed install disc is a HUGE time-saver if you ever have to wipe the system.  Additionally, since Win7 can install via USB key, it's even easier to make a functional disc image with specific drivers and settings pre-installed.  Spread the word :smileyhappy:

- vtmemo

Paper Tape
AndyHumphreys

Lenovo should not be allowed to sell a product that performs so poorly and Microsoft should compensate every Vista user. Well done for figuring this out but I tried simply to convert to XP by booting from disc 1 of the 3 discs provided. It took a couple of hours and didn't work and Vista remains. But it did bugger up the wireless connection so it does not connect to a router either wirelessly or by cable. So I can't follow your instructions and downlad the various bits you suggest. No need for a reply, just to say thanks for your efforts - they should not be necessary. AH