Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Nile1
Accepted Solution

Power connect disconnect problem (SL 500, windows7)

Hello friends,

I am facing a weird problem with my SL 500 with Windows 7 (I also have Lucid Linux Installed on the system).

(Note: My laptop came with Vista)

While I start my computer after it was shut down (i.e. NOT for restart) it keeps beeping power connect-disconnect sound right from the boot till I completely load the OS. (irrespective of windows or ubuntu) But after the startup is complete it stops by itself and is gone after it. Anybody faced this problem? Any thoughts what it could be because?

Some observations and notes about my machine.

1. This happens only when I start machine and not during restart.

2. My vista was currepted a while back. s I reinstalled using another OEM my volume keys and thinkvantage (blue) button is not working since then. (This issue of beeping is a week or two now)

3. I noticed a little slow startup for 7 but rest all is fine.

4. I have thinkvantage power manager installed. (It shows connected-disconnected when the beeping goes on)

5. My battery is pretty old has around 30-40 min capacity.

Maliha

Re: Power connect disconnect problem (SL 500, windows7)

[ Edited ]

Hi Nile1,

Look in the Config -> Alarms option in the BIOS, check if something needs to be enabled/disabled there, don't forget to save changes through F10 before exiting.

Keep us updated. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Nile1

Thanks Maliha for your reply.

I did try to disable that alarm from BIOS. It will stop the beep sound but not the problem I am facing.

My problem is at startup my computer behaves as if my AC power cord is being connected and disconnected repeatedly. This happens only when I start my computer, after a while it becomes normal. (I can see the power manager battery icon showing connected-disconnected repeately also the diff in the screen brightness as the power plans are diff for connected and disconnected mode.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Vonfeffer

Perhaps your power connector/cable is bad...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One cannot modify ones past, but one can start again so there will be a new future! PS: If I somehow helped you, please click on the star above my avatar. Thanks!
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Nile1

@Vonfeffer,

I did think of this possibility, but the AC cord works perfectly fine all the time except at startup.Thanks for reply.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Nile1

Update:

Now the problem is present all the time.

I reinstalled power manager to make sure the problem is not with it. Today morning I started the laptop and since then problem has escalated.

I can also hear very low sqeaking sound from the computer too. I am guessing its problem with some connection inside laptop?
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Nile1

Another update

Now the computer is not able to detect AC cord is connected while on.

It does charge the battery when the computer is turned off.

Another important note is: laptop is not starting with only AC plugged in (i.e. battery removed)!
Maliha

Could be AC going bad, or the power port where it connects. Only way to verify is by connecting another compatible (good) lenovo adapter to it. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Nile1

[ Edited ]

@Mahila

I did think of that possibility, but as it is charging my battery when computer is off I guess that is not the case. But I am planning to do that tonight as m friend has a good AC adapter ( I can check mine on his comp too)

BTW, Important update, my computer is back to connect disconnect mode (all the time) after doing windows recovery to two days back.

I think this means it's definetly a software issue? Any thoughts please? I am planning to do a complete system restore, only worry is if my AC adapter doesn't work then I can't do it. Let's see.

P.S. Sorry for clicking on above post as accepted solution, when comp is connecting and disconnecting mouse curses behaves wierdly. Could you please correct that? :smileysad:

(Post update: Done 'not accepted')

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Nile1

[ Edited ]

It indeed was my AC adapter. Today I got hold of my friend's adapter to try on my comp and there it goes! Maliha was right!

It was stupid on my part to make so big deal out of it. But my AD adapter was not even 6 months old and then it still doesnt answer why it was flashing only during startup for a while?

Anyways, as of now I mark it as solved. Thanks all for the help. I will surely update if anything goes wrong.