Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
joann23456

Restore to factory settings

My laptop is an SL410 running Windows 7 64-bit.

A few days ago, I got the physical memory dump error. I haven't installed any new hardware or software in the past month, at least. I have had this error a few times before, and have been able to restart and use the repair dialog that comes up to get the computer going again.

This time, it didn't work. So I tried to restore to an earlier point in time, which worked, but then I got the blue screen again. And then I couldn't get it to do anything. The laptop would start the repair dialog and then hang.

So I decided to try to restore the laptop to factory settings, using the discs that came with the laptop. I started with the disc labeled Lenovo Operating System Recovery Disc Windows 7 Professional, then, when prompted, inserted the disc labeled Lenovo Applications and Drivers Recovery Disc. After that, the recovery dialog asked for a third disc, but I didn't have it. (It didn't come with the computer.) So I tried clicking "no," and it finished up the recovery dialog and was eventually able to boot into Windows and set up as a new computer.

I was able to get a few files that I needed, but then I got the system memory dump message again. I have tried using the recovery dialog since then, but I can't get it to work anymore.

So, here are my questions:

1. Does it sound like this is from the hard drive? (Probably a dumb question.) 

2. Let's assume I replace the hard drive. I have a system image created with Windows Backup on an external hard drive. How would I go about installing it onto the new hard drive? Is it possible? Are the recovery discs that came with the computer enough to do it, or do I need something else?

Thanks for any help!

Hiro
Kudos: 88
Solutions: 22

Re: Restore to factory settings

Hey Joann2345,

I have some suggestions on things you can try if your open to it. If you could do a memory test for me and see if we have an issue with ram cards. You can also run a hard drive test too and just double check your hard drive.

If you do buy a new hard drive you can install the old image onto your new drive but if you could run these test for me first it would be better to make sure that the issue is your ram or hdd before you just replace your hdd.

Best Regards,

Hiro

Did you find a post Awesome? A response just Outstanding? Kudo them!
Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a pat on the back for helping you out!