Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
brassie

SL 500 with NVidia G 105m dying

I'm resigned I suppose - it looks to me like my SL500 (with the nvidia chip) is dying.  I have had a sequence of failtures that appear to be associated with the display hardware.  The screen gets a patchy shimmering kind of thing, the colors are way off and the system is unresponsive.  Sometimes it stays like that for a while, locked up, until I press the power swtich for 4+ seconds to force it to power off.  Other times it crashes and reboots on its own.

The display driver is at the latest Lenovo approved level.  No Errors are recorded for the Event Viewer to display.

I suspect the nVidia chip is going bad and my system is not long for the world.  (Yes, I'm backing it up)  I recall reading where nVidia had a problem with some chips a year or two ago and am wondering if anyone else is seeing this problem.  And, if this is the NVidia problem, if Lenovo is aware of it and has a program to deal with it.

brassie

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: SL 500 with NVidia G 105m dying

hey brassie,

could you uninstall the current driver of the display card and let Windows install it's generic drivers ?

once that is done, just check if there is any differences

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.