Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
LukeD
Accepted Solution

SL Review

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4499

MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Re: SL Review

[ Edited ]

LukeD,

Thanks for kicking this board off ! :smileyvery-happy:

Here's another from Engadget on the SL400 model.

While there are response comments on many of these reviews,  I hope we can have some more discussion here, and in the other forums (Thinkpads and Notebookreview) to really understand everyone's reactions.   What do you think, and why?

I think it's important to keep in mind that each of these series fit the needs of a particular market segment, so perhaps one can't say that any particular model is reflective of where ThinkPad is heading, but rather we might consider the various directions that the whole line is taking.

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 07-15-2008 07:54 PM

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Bit Torrent
wjli2

haha SL notebook has all the ports that i really want, well done Lenovo for listening to the ports survey, HDMI and VGA out something that is quite unique in the laptop world. 4 usb woo hoo. The only thing i wonder is whether SL is in the same thickness or weight class of T series.
JaneL

[ Edited ]

wjli2 wrote:
The only thing i wonder is whether SL is in the same thickness or weight class of T series.

Here you go:

http://shop.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/merchandising/US/PDFs/sl400_and_sl500_datasheet.pdf

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/slbook.pdf

Message Edited by nonny on 07-17-2008 12:14 AM

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Serial Port
gotGOLD

Laptopmag video

Check out this video. I'm really concerned about where Lenovo is going with this new design. I instantly noticed a few things that I really don't appreciate:

-Glossy finish on the lid -> fingerprint magnet & looks cheap

-Glowing  "terminator eye" and ThinkVantage button. Why?! 

-More stickers next to the keyboard plus more text on the cover

I've always liked how Thinkpads are about minimalistic but functional design and no-nonsense. Is Lenovo trying to ruin this with their new SL-series?

Fanfold Paper

I agree, glossy doesn't look good. OMG and what happened to the LCD reinforcement!? I can only see those ugly rubber cushioners above the screen which are not present on T-series.
Token Ring
LukeD

I totally agree with you, GotGold.

Just remember, this is Lenovo's entry-level consumer ThinkPad line.

MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**
Bit Torrent
wjli2

after careful review, it seems that SL lacks all the reinforcements that  T series have. Well i guess something has to give for that sort of price, so people should appreciate the high costs of all the roll cages that is built into every T series. But anyhow i am happy in expecting that next T series would have the same feature and port sets as SL, however it would be built on greater quality standards.

As they say you get what you pay for.

Serial Port
gotGOLD

Hi, LukeD

I still think that the SL-series should have been launched as IdeaPad because it looks like one and is priced like one. ThinkPads aren't supposed to be entry-level consumer computers but rather high quality computers for people who can appreciate un-matchable quality and don't mind the cost.

Besides, isn't R-series the entry-level  in ThinkPads?

Bit Torrent
wjli2

There are enough Ideapad varities. But i hoped that it would have used a stronger plastic top casing that prevents flexing.