Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
lcflenovo

SL300 throws error 1804 (unauth. WAN card), impossible to boot

Hi,

I recently purchased an SL300 running windows Vista Business, and this weekend it started displaying an error of a missing or incorrect driver for Ericsson F3507g and kept unsuccessfully trying to update it.

Upon a restart, it won't let me get past the BIOS, displaying the 1804 error:

Unauthorized WAN card is plugged in. Power off and remove the WAN card.

I'm at work right now, and can't check if i can even get in the BIOS settings (It is likely i can, since it displays the Thinkpad screen that says to press the lenovo care button)

My problem now is the following, how to reinstall the driver if i can't boot the system, I'll try updating the BIOS with a CD, but I will take any advice i can get, thanks!

Paper Tape
lcflenovo

Re: SL300 throws error 1804 (unauth. WAN card), impossible to boot

+

Turns out i cannot even get in the BIOS

I get the Thinkpad "To interrupt normal startup press the Lenovo Care button" screen (nothing works)

Then  the hardware check starts and is fine until:

8603 - CMOS Checksum Bad

1804 - Unauthorized WAN card is plugged in - Power off and remove the WAN card.

Fatal Error...System Halted.

What can be done?

What's DOS?
merlin47

Hi,

I bought a SL500 and I see exactly the same problem.

For some reason the Ericson device was off and I tried to get it started. I did a driver update which did run for ever and suddenlz vanished. I shut down the system and now I can not reboot. I do see the 1804 but I do not see any other error message.

Does anybody have any idea what I shoudl do now????

Paper Tape
lcflenovo

Yes, that's what happened, with the driver and all

I solved it temporarily by opening the RAM slot and remove the WAN card (the card with the blue and orange wire)

When I can spare it, i'll send it in, according to (useless) support hotline, they might have to change the motherboard!??

Anyway, try removing and replacing the card, but it didn't work for me..

What's DOS?
qfrag

Hi,

same problem here with a SL500 and the Ericson  WAN card, worked fine until now (over 4 month).

Taking out the card and the system will boot but that can't be the solution.

And since I'm not the onely one I think it is a software / BIOS problem.

I first had 1.12 and then upgraded to 1.18, did nothing to the 1804 problem but added the fan trouble:-(

Where are the good old IBM days .....

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 795

Not to scare anyone but...

When the machine starts displaying 1802 or 1804 error message out of the blue after having worked with the given card for a while, that usually equals a motherboard problem.

Get your ThinkPads looked at while they're still under warranty.

Good luck. 

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Blue Screen Again
datadan

I recently upgraded the Bios in my SL300 to 1.24. As soon as the update finished I received the 1804 Unauthorized WAN card error - fatal error system halted. I removed the Ericsson F3507G card and was able to boot up. Shut down the computer and replaced card and was able to boot BUT the card is no longer present in Device Manager and I have no WAN tab to try my WAN connections anymore in connections manager. Lenovo support advised me to fall back to Bios 1.23 but I ended up with the same error message. On reboot, I no longer receive the error message, but the card is no longer available. It looks like the Bios is disabling the card on the susequent boots. I cannot locate any tabs in the network tabs in the Bios where WAN is even mentioned (WiFi and WiMax are). Any suggestions?

Thanks

Fanfold Paper
Terry

HI All,

I too have the SL300 with the same fault.

1804-unauthorised WAN card is plugged in

power off and remove the WAN card

Fatal Error....system halted

The error appeared 4-8-09 after 10 months without a problem, I updated the Bios to V1.23 about three months ago.

I have been running the Vodafone mobile connect software because of problems with Access Conneections software.

I removed the WAN card and the boot process is all OK, I have one month left on warrenty, so it looks like thats the way I have to go, unless anyone has a fix for this issue?

Regards,

Terry. 

Blue Screen Again
datadan

I called Lenovo support back and after several tests of reloading drivers, etc, they sent me a new card yesterday. After putting it in, the error has gone and I can connect again! It looks like somehow the Bios update fried the card. I'm happy again!

Go for the replacement card while you are still under warranty. 

Fanfold Paper
Terry

Thanks Datadan,

I will get on the phone monday and press for a new WAN card, that will be the second replacement, as the original was dead on arrival.

Thanks again for the info,

Terry.