Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
soundio

Re: SL500 Left Hinge Broken

So much for my attempt to repair. I reached the step to remove the PCI wireless card and the screws would not budge. I skipped over this and proceeded to the next steps....removed the screws holding the fan assembly, started trying to remove fan per instructions.....the fan would not budge either.  :smileysad:

This is where I decided to reassemble. I put everything back together and am using it sans the ability to open and close the lid. This is ridiculous!!!

This laptop has been an exceptional performer aside from something so simple as the hinge design/material. Very upset right now.

What, if any, is my next step please? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thank you.

Paper Tape
shomronon

it is unclear why, but ever since lenovo bought the thinkpad brand they decided to make the thinkpads it as weak as possible, thus, they redesigned the fan and left hinge part so as to break off easily in order for u to buy a rollcage every month or so. to add insult to the injury, the thinkpads after t60 have less and less magnesium in them while making the fan area even more fragile so the left hinge will break every day.

my 2 cents.

Paper Tape
shomronon

i dont understand how lenovo can let this matter go on, i miss those ibm days

What's DOS?
MichelleB

Re: SL500 Left Hinge Broken - now video won't work

I, too, have a broken left hinge. And now I cannot get the video to come up, so I'm "assuming" a cable/wire has come loose. My warranty expired exactly 45 days ago! Agh. Does anyone have any idea how much it would be to repair?

It has been an otherwise wonderful laptop to use. So frustrating.

Punch Card
soundio

Re: SL500 Left Hinge Broken - now video won't work

Yes Michelle, it is frustrating. My SL500 has been nearly flawless in the 4 years I've had it. Such a great laptop aside from the hinge design/material.

I took mine to a shop last week. I already had the new hinges. They installed both of them for $65. Well worth it to me. The tech said Lenovos have over 200 screws in them. Many more than most.
What's DOS?
dcicconi

I looked at your picture and it looks EXACTLY like mine does now. The piece of plastic on the left is lifting up over the hinge  just as you show in your picture when I lift the monitor up.   Were you able to fix it?  I bought this laptop because I heard it was IBM and tough.  My last laptop Torshiba had hinge problems.   Thanks for any help you can give me.

What's DOS?
dcicconi

My left hinge is breaking on the left when I lift up the monitor, a piece of plastic lifts up with it and the hinge appears loose.  How did you replace yours?  I see no screws to take it off.  Thanks.

Punch Card
bllu

Hi !

I am in process of replacing both hinges (left broke). I bought some new one from ebay for 10$, but I think LENOVO should give as full support in this case, because it's design flaw. Some discount bonuses would be nice. LENOVO?!!

I can not unscrew some screws. LENOVO, did you glued them ?!!!

Here is the disassembly Video for SL500 :

http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/SL400_500/index.html

ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-15-LCD-IBM-Left-Right-Hinges-LENOVO-Think-Pad-SL500-Set-/280928970161?pt...

What's DOS?
deltalove06

My left hinge has broken too.  Wht can i do to get this repaired??  Why didn't your company recall this model.  It appears that several people had this issue.  This has to be a defect in the model.  Wht can i do to get this fixed.   I need answers. Please respond

What's DOS?
WHP_Metselaar

[ Edited ]

same problem, left hinge, phot is not very good quality, but still......

Monitor also does not work anymore. Worked over 10 with several IBM thinkpad's, Never any problem. Now can use my laptop only as desktop with attached monitor

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules