Do you mean 
Punch Card
Cristi_XP

Re: SL500 coninous fan

[ Edited ]

in 10 minutes it jumped to 80 degrees

http://img190.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2248.jpg

http://img190.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2256.jpg

the problem is that the plastic it heats very much in the left part of the touchpad.

For lower temperatures,select max battery...

Message Edited by Cristi_XP on 05-24-2009 01:04 PM
Fanfold Paper
raxion

I have recently bought my SL500 thinking that the fan noise problem is solved with bios update 1.21 :smileyhappy:

My SL500's fan is also working continouosly. mostly it is not disturbing. but sometimes i am hearing a quite disturbing noise as you may hear in the video:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag1838e/n/sl500_fan_xvid_avi

what i am wondering is that: does the fan noise mentioned by everyone similar to that? or is there something different with my fan?

Paper Tape
qxenoa

"I have an SL500 (2746-22U with a T9400 and BIOS 1.18) that idles at around 21°C (CPU) and 38°C (GPU) as measured by HMonitor. When stressed with Orthos, the CPU reaches 70°C after 5 minutes, with a fan exhaust temperature of 67°C. There must be something wrong with your system if it gets to 85°C with it doing "nothing"."

Dear  - your measurement results are for me COMPLETELY unreliable or you have much better model of SL, cooling fan or real Cu radiator :smileyhappy:

By the way when I wrote "I left PC for some time" - then I realized idle defragmentation started automatically.

What is the problem with SL series (and anyone can read 40 pages about it) is tragic thermal desing, I think there is no metal cage - radiator like in R series and also heat dissipation material that is not Cu but, as can be seen from cooling outlet, something "black" in colour.

After few hours test all I can say is that my lap idles at about 35-40C WITH FAN on level 2. When switched with NHC to level 1 idle level that is 55-60C !!!! So this is natural that any stronger CPU activity without even reaching 50% but let's say 30-40% is causing that temperatur is going up to 80C without any problem very quickly. When my CPU reached 85C the smell from the cooling outlet wasn't the nicest :smileyhappy:

Do NOT USE NHC or use it with special care !!! The problem is with SL thermal design.

I will use NHC only for late night web browsing and special cases like this. But if any process (app error or something like this) would use CPU agressively then you will have problem.

ps. now I am doing nothing but writing it I switched on NHC fan control and temp is 50C and going (slowly but going) up.

Punch Card
Cristi_XP

i`ve got on idle with the max performance 80-85 degrees
Paper Tape
qxenoa

I understand with NHC usage and fan on level 1 ?

For me target user solution for this laptop (without waiting for Lenovo because of obvious reasons) is to have tool for setting temp. of fan on level 2 activation. From what I see it should be like this:

- temp. up to  60 - level1

- temp above 60 level2 and switching 2/3 like it is in BIOS actually

Paper Tape
HeavenlySilence

[ Edited ]

Using NHC there is a very simple solution to limit the maximum temperature. I have published it in this German forum Post #161 and hoped it would find its way to this forum automatically what did not happen.

If you replace the  highspeed_refreshfunction with the following code, the fan starts at 60 Degree Celsius, measured somewhere at the heat pipe.

#region FAN Control highspeed refresh function : highspeed_refresh()
//
public const int highspeed_refresh_interval = 10;
//
public static int tmp = 60;

public static bool highspeed_refresh()
{
ACPI.FIELD.Read("_SB.PCI0.SBRG.EC0.ECPU", ref tmp);

//if( tmp >= FAN_CONTROL.fan_control) return true;

if( tmp >= 60) return true;
ACPI.FIELD.WriteByOffset("_SB.PCI0.SBRG.EC0.ECOR", 0, 151, 8);
ACPI.FIELD.WriteByOffset("_SB.PCI0.SBRG.EC0.ECOR", 0, 147, 8);
ACPI.FIELD.WriteByOffset("_SB.PCI0.SBRG.EC0.ECOR", 0, 148, 8);
ACPI.FIELD.WriteByOffset("_SB.PCI0.SBRG.EC0.ECOR", 20, 166, 8);
ACPI.FIELD.WriteByOffset("_SB.PCI0.SBRG.EC0.ECOR", 20, 167, 8);
//
return true;
}
//
#endregion

The temperature of the CPU is normally lower than this value, the temperature of the GPU (if the is onenormally higher.

In the German forum I have published a more sophisticated version where the value can be controlled by the FAN_CONTROL variable.

Unfortunately you have to register  there to download it. But you can see the line that I commented out a line and this line has to be used insted of the other if clause. Then you have to change the values in these two lines from 0 to 60.

public static int fan_control = 60; // It must have the same name as the class (case are ignored)
public const int nhc_default_value = 60; // the default value

Instead of 60, 55 or 50 would also be possible and would be more hardware friendly.

I think using two temperature levels and writing higher values to the registers in the medium level, instead of just returning would make it possible to control the fan speed levels. This would do what qxenoa mentioned, but at the moment I'm to lazy to try it out.

Enjoy the silence and be careful not to fry you ThinkPad!

Message Edited by HeavenlySilence on 05-26-2009 12:39 PM
Paper Tape
klau1

unfortunately NHC does not work with Vista 64, (the program was last updated in 2007)

Would really appreciate an alternative.

Paper Tape
rasmusjs

Hey all,

What is the current consensus in this discussion: Is the problem of the continously running fan a problem with all SL500's or can it be seen as some sort of defect which only exists in some machines?

It is obviously a fairly common problem, but the reviews indicating completely silent SL500's seems to suggest that it is not a problem with all of them.

The question for me is if I should get my SL500 changed at the shop with reference to an abnormal level of noise, or if I'll just have the same problem with the new one.

bie
Serial Port
bie

My suggestion: If there are quiet SL500 out there, it could be nearly impossible to get one.

I ordered a replacement fan and got one with the same noise-emission-level.

Try another Product.

My Tool: Lenovo SL500 (NRJ9AGE) // Windows XP (SP3) // with Boing 747 fan-upgrade.
Punch Card
bla_bla1357

Mine seems to be quiet. Or I have a different interpretation of quiet. Anyway, it is not loud enough to bother me.