Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
klau1

Re: SL500 coninous fan

[ Edited ]
i wouldn't say mine is loud, but certainly not quiet, definitely not silient like my passive cooled Sony VAIO P.  In fact, the fan noise is a little higher pitched hence more audible than my desktop with 3x 120mm fans
Message Edited by klau1 on 06-04-2009 01:08 AM
Blue Screen Again
szutsg

[ Edited ]

raxion wrote:

I have recently bought my SL500 thinking that the fan noise problem is solved with bios update 1.21 :smileyhappy:

My SL500's fan is also working continouosly. mostly it is not disturbing. but sometimes i am hearing a quite disturbing noise as you may hear in the video:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag1838e/n/sl500_fan_xvid_avi

what i am wondering is that: does the fan noise mentioned by everyone similar to that? or is there something different with my fan?

this sound will not affected by the bios at all.

this is a broken fan bearing.

Message Edited by szutsg on 06-12-2009 11:06 AM
Punch Card
trikka

Well I made the mistake of finally updating from BIOS version 1.12 to 1.23, since my SL400 is shoved under a desk / in a cabinet where it can't usualy be heard anyway. But now it can, because it's doing this:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag789hh/n/sl400fanbehaviour_MP3

The old poorly-conceived fan control algorithm that results in frequent revving up and down, making the noise far more noticable than if it just stayed at the higher speed. NHC with the XML referred to a few pages back reduces the problem, but won't help when not in Windows.

Sorry if this aspect of the fan problem was already done to death - I've been disengaged from the whole "coninous fan" issue since last September. It's remarkable to come back nine months later and see it's been by far the #1 complaint here for all that time, yet Lenovo not only hasn't addressed the issue, but made it worse.
What's DOS?
onthejob

Re: SL500 continous fan

[ Edited ]

a curse on lenovo and its inability to fix the fan problem. i can only imagine how many future customers (me for one) they've lost through this very annoying and long running saga.

after updating to 1.23 the **bleep** fan is on medium speed permanently commencing from boot up. at least with 1.21 the fan went to low occasionally.

to top it all off the swine sold me a sierra mc8775 that does not work on the telstra network after i told them that is the network i use. they sold it to me anyway because i guess they don't know about the products they are selling. moot point i guess when the wretched sim holder doesn't work anyway. is this machine lemon like?

my my, what a company they are.

Message Edited by onthejob on 07-20-2009 11:58 PM
Message Edited by onthejob on 07-20-2009 11:59 PM
Punch Card
trikka

I've since discovered the NHC fan control allows the CPU to overheat and throttle itself, because it fails to speed up the fan adequately when the CPU is stressed.

Also, the problem of the fan constantly revving up/down turns out not to be related to my BIOS update. It remained even after I reverted to 1.12, so it's coincidence that it begun at the same time I installed 1.23. Now seems likely the standard degradation of the cooling system and change in season have resulted in the CPU running at a temp where the fan algorithm settles on this phugoid-like behaviour.

To its credit, at least Lenovo makes service manuals and vids publicly available, so attempting to fix it with a fresh application of thermal paste shouldn't be a major ordeal.
What's DOS?
onthejob

just a quick update! i have sent my laptop back to lenovo to get them to attend to the continuous fan and other crappy hardware components. i'll post the outcome here. if it works for me sl users should return the laptops en masse for repair. stay tuned.
Fanfold Paper
goldcoast

should post here

I just got my SL500 laptop yesterday, bois is 1.24,fan constantly running, never stop. I'm surprised the problem is still there after over 1 year report.

Paper Tape
wuerfel

Fanfold Paper
goldcoast

Wow!, it's working, Thanks.

Paper Tape
Greg_

Yeah, It's working, but what value do I have to type in, so my fan would be run once in a while and cool down my thinkpad? This value matters anyway?