Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
MadMaxToronto

SL500 - forgot BIOS System Password... how much Lenovo charges to replace System Board?

Hello Everybody,

I forgot my BIOS System Password (Administrator) and after reading the manual, the only fix is to have Lenovo change the System Board. Does anybody know how much this costs? My laptop is one month old and I purchased the 3 year extended warranty.

Regards,

Max

Token Ring
ThE_ReBe1

Re: SL500 - forgot BIOS System Password... how much Lenovo charges to replace System Board?

[ Edited ]

Hello

There is way to reset password but unfortunatlly it will in violation of this forum's policy to tell you how.My advice to you Call Customer support they should be able to help you.

Message Edited by ThE_ReBe1 on 07-06-2009 07:53 PM
*** Lenovo SL 300 P8600 3GB memory and 160 GB HD***
***WIndows XP pro SP3***
Punch Card
tech_man

Re: SL500 - forgot BIOS System Password... how much Lenovo charges to replace System Board?

I had the same problem with my SL300. The BIOS can not realize special character like $, @, %, ^... or something like that. Just alphanumeric. So if you typed a password like nmo%gX&b you have to blank out the special character like this: nmogXb or nmogxb.

Hope this can help.

Anders

ThinkPad SL300 2738-53G S/N:L3B2780: Stolen
ThinkPad SL300 2738-53G S/N:smileyfrustrated:L3ACR2M Replaced Unit
ThinkPad SL300 2738-K5G
Paper Tape
melai

erased BIOS

hello, can u help me? mine is lenovo 3000 G430 and my problem is the BIOS. i had it erased with a cd. when i turned on the laptop you will only see blank.  can you help me how to reinstall its BIOS? plss.....

Fanfold Paper
loft

Thanks man!

I would have spent the whole night entering the password over and over again... You saved me!

**bleep** these Lenovo guys (or who the heck is writing the ThinkPads' BIOS these days) that don't document this **bleep** bug!

Thanks again!

PS: I can confirm: when you set the password you see stars for every character, but when you use the password you have to use only the letters and numbers (skip the special characters).

Paper Tape
BigScreenBrad

I have similar issue with G550........manual states a new board is required if you forget the supervisor password. My issue is not forgetting password, but changing it back to "nothing."

My teenage daughter attempted to bypass my windows admin password by changing supervisor password to Thane13. When she could still not access my system, she gave up. I went to reset the supervisor password to nothing. When prompted for password I typed in the Thane13. When asked for "New Password," I just entered through, setting it back to nothing, I thought. Now, I am locked out of machine!! I've tried everything I can think of, short of a hammer. Any assistance here?

Paper Tape
BigScreenBrad

I tried, and was transferred all over the globe. No one could help.....
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

it would cost lot more then buying a new laptop of similar spec.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft