Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Njall
Accepted Solution

SL510 CTRL FN key swap?

Hi,

I JUST got a new Lenovo SL510 (2847D2U) yesterday; my first.  So far I am pleased with it.  I do have a couple of issues.  The first is the position of the CTRL key. 

Looking through the Lenovo site, this forum, and using Google, I see that this is a common problem users have.  I came from a Dell Latitude 6410.  Apparently Lenovo has responded and provided a BIOS setting for this.  However, in the initial BIOS of this system (1.40) and now 1.44 there is no such setting.

Is there anyway I can swap the FN and CTRL keys?

Regards,

Nelson

Bit Torrent
Vince69

Re: SL510 CTRL FN key swap?

Hello mate,

I don't think it's possible for the SL series

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Njall

I hope you are mistaken.  So far I am impressed with this laptop; however, the placement of the CTRL key is important to me and may force me to return it.   Even if I can train my finger to find the second key in, I already sense that it will cause significant pain as it forces the finger to curl under.  

There is a version 1.37 of the BIOS which purports to switch the keys.  There is also someone else who has hacked a more recent BIOS versions.  I would much prefer to have an official solution, especially in light of the fact that Lenovo produced a solution in Oct-Nov of 2009.   I hope Lenovo folks prowl these forums and may have a more positive message.

Thanks and regards,

Nelson

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

[ Edited ]

Vince69 is right.  The BIOS option to swap Fn/Ctrl does not exist on SL series.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Njall

OK - Not being able to switch the CTRL and FN keys is a big deal to me.  If you use Emacs you'd immediately know why.  I have turned the CapsLk key into a CTRL key which helps; however, that is not as good as I'd like.   I think overall the ThinkPad is an AWESOME laptop.  This keyboard, stupid key positioning aside, is AWESOME!  The construction just feels good. 

If I upgraded to the L512 or Z560 ThinkPads would I be able to swap the CTRL and FN keys in the BIOS?

Regards,

Nelson

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Personally I don't have a problem with the key positioning.  I use visual studio where ctrl-key combos are used everywhere and it's no problem for me.  I think it's just what you get used to, and you're used to something different, which is completely understandable.  God forbid if I had to use a Dell, I'm sure I would complain about the same thing!

The L410/412/510/512 series does not have the option you want.

If you wanted to wait for the upcoming L420/L520 series, they will have it.  In fact I *think* all of the upcoming 2011 thinkpad products will have that feature. 

As for the Z560, that's not a thinkpad (it's an ideapad) so you would need to ask on that forum.  I'm sorry that I don't have one to check.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Njall

**bleep**... I am constrained in that I am trying to buy a replacement laptop after losing my job.  I do not have a lot of time to wait for new models.  (What!?  You didn't start producing this year's models last year like they do with cars? Shocking!)

I am starting to hate Lenovo for making me make tough choices.  You guys should be ashamed of yourselves!

As a problem solver I have even considered re-wiriing the keyboard.  However, I would screw up the warranty regardless of success so I won't... for another two years.

Thank you for your quick response.