Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
jjKite
Accepted Solution

SL510--Factory Restore option not available in Rescue & Recovery Program

I want to restore my system to original factory state, and I have the Rescue and Recovery discs I made when I first obtained the laptop.  I put the disk labeled “Rescue and Recovery Startup disk” into DVD drive and start system.  When ThinkPad logo appears, I touch the blue ThinkVantage button.  When the system prompts me to press any key to boot from CD or DVD, I do so, and Rescue and Recovery program starts. After the Rescue & Recovery Program is loaded, I click “Launch Advanced Rescue and Recovery.”  Then I click “Restore Your System.”  Based on the Rescue and Recovery Help documents, I expect to see three options:

1. Restore only Windows operating system and applications from backup
  2. Restore my entire hard drive, including all personal data and settings from backup
  3. Restore my hard drive to original factory state.

However, only the first two options are displayed.

I don’t know how to restore the system without the third option.  Any advice?

Thanks!!

Maliha

Re: SL510--Factory Restore option not available in Rescue & Recovery Program

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forum!

ThinkPad can also be put to factory contents without the recovery discs if the restore partition is available on the system. Take the CD out, restart your system and press the ThinkVantage button on boot, thereafter follow instructions from step 5:- http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70803

Re recovery discs, is it possible that you created rescue media (backup) of your system instead of recovery discs? Go to the BIOS and set optical drive as first boot device, put the startup recovery disc in, press F10 to save the settings and exit, don't press ThinkVantage button on boot, instead let it boot itself from the CD, once you're in, look for the third option.

Let us know how things go.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Fanfold Paper
jjKite

Thanks for your reply Maliha!

Two things:

In response to your question about the type of discs I made, I believe I made rescue discs. However, the behavior I enounter when I use them is not exactly the same as that described in the document you directed me to (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70803?). Please allow me to describe the behavior I encounter when I use the disc labeled Rescue and Recovery Startup Disc to access Rescue and Recovery.  When I do so, I see the screens depicted in Steps 4 through 7 (Post-2008 Media) in the document you directed me to. At Step 8 is where the behavior of my system differs from that shown in the document.  The screen displayed (Step 8) is exactly the same on my system as it is in the document, except there is no radio button at the bottom left that says "Factory Recovery."

Also, I believe you suggested that I could access Rescue and recovery by pressing the ThinkVantage button at startup, but doing so only slightly modifies the startup sequence.  When I press the ThinkVantage button, the system displays a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner for about ten seconds, but then Windows starts normally.  By the way, I believe the recovery partition is available. The evidence I have of this is that I can see in Disk Management a 1.17 Gb partition  labeled SYSTEM_DRV.

Thanks for your assistance so far, and I'm grateful for any further assistance you or anyone else may be able to provide!

Christopher

Fanfold Paper
jjKite

Hi again,

A couple more details:

First, the machine type is 2847-9YU, if that's relevant. Model SL510.

Second, I read another post on a related topic that you responded to, and you said, "Partitioning HDD on SL cripples the ability to use service partition [been there done that]".  I did create a partition some time ago, but I have since deleted it.  I never deleted the service partition (or, at least, the partition I think is called the service partition, which is a 1.17 GB partition labeled SYSTEM_DRV).  I see in the same post you directed the questioner to a page with instructions for recovering the corrupt boot sector, which gave instruction for XP and Vista.  If you recommend taking the same action, do you have instructions that are relevent to a Windows 7 system?

Thanks again!

Maliha

jjKite wrote:

Hi again,

A couple more details:

I see in the same post you directed the questioner to a page with instructions for recovering the corrupt boot sector, which gave instruction for XP and Vista.  If you recommend taking the same action, do you have instructions that are relevent to a Windows 7 system?

Thanks again!

No, it won't help as the recovery repair media doesn't support Win 7, however, lenovo does say that if you reinstall rescue and recovery 4.3, it could re-enable F11 function. Give it a shot.

"This package does not support Rescue and Recovery version 4.3 which is for Windows 7 operating system. If you encounter the problem in Windows 7, please re-install Rescue and Recovery 4.3. It could also re-enable the F11 function."

Keep us informed.

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel

andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 631

jjkite, a belated welcome to the forum,

when you boot from the R&R startup disc is there an option at the very bottom of the left column, (sometimes almost invisible), to switch to the advanced mode or similar? If there is which option are you then offered to recover your system?

Thanks

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Fanfold Paper
jjKite

Thanks for the welcome, Andy, and, yes, the link for advanced recovery options is present.  However, following it only leads to options to restore from backup.

It's actually a moot issue at this point because I went ahead and ordered a set of recovery discs from Lenovo, and I went ahead and restored my system to factory content using those disks.  Sadly, doing so did not fix the problem I was certain it would fix.  The problem I wanted to fix was with the keyboard and hot keys.  I think I'll start a new thread about it instead of opening the issue here.  Thanks for your support!

Christopher

Fanfold Paper
jjKite

Thanks for your support.  Finally, I got frustrated and decided to order restore discs from Lenovo.  Using them, I did a factory restore with no problems.

Paper Tape
Noctisx

May I ask where did you Order the Factory Restore CD's From?

Maliha

Noctisx wrote:

May I ask where did you Order the Factory Restore CD's From?

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You can order from lenovo:- http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-4M7HWZ#purchase

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel