Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SL510 - Why only 2.8GB of usable RAM out of 4GB with Windows 7 32 bit?

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎06-19-2011 by
Modified ‎06-19-2011 by
(6,005 Views)

SL510 - Why only 2.8GB of usable RAM out of 4GB with Windows 7 32 bit?

Question

I am using Win 7 32 bit and I know I will never get the full 4GB as usable RAM. But, what is taking hold of 1.2GB in this SL510 laptop? My desktop reports 3.4GB of usable RAM (also Win7 32Bit) even when I am using a low-end Series 9 Nvidia video card. So where does 1.2GB went in this simple laptop.

Laptop model is: ThinkPad SL510 (2847-9XU)

Answer

32 Bit Operating systems cannot access more than 4GB of memory on any system.  Depending on whether the system has integrated or stand alone / discrete graphics, the actual maximum amount available to the OS can vary from 2.5 to 3.5 GB

In the case of the SL510, because the video system is integrated and has no video RAM to rely upon, some of the main memory is allocated for use as video memory.   Any "discrete" graphics card would have it's own video RAM, by definition, regardless of it's performance, as in the case with the referenced desktop.  See related forum discussions which confirm 2.8GB as the typical reported ammount with 32bit OS.

The amount of available memory on integrated models can also be vary with different versions of BIOS.  For example, more memory was allocated to smooth video playback performance in later BIOS versions on the X120e model ThinkPad.

Comments
by Leonstry on ‎02-21-2012 07:37 AM

Not sure I'm in the right place: Question please regarding SL510 memory. I have 120GB free, but will be using this fairly quickly with photos. Can the hard drive be upgraded? Can I install a second hard drive? Or do I get a desktop?

Thanks

by Lawrencebrownin on ‎09-18-2014 01:08 PM

because of "32 bit" can only address that amount of ram though that seems a little low. I think that it should be around 3.06 GB you might check for faulty RAM