Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Gemini

Screen flickering at startup...

Hello, wanted to see if anyone can help - I've had my Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 for a month and ever since I got it, the LCD flickers at the Windows logo screen while Windows loads. The flickering stops once Windows has loaded and I access my desktop.

I rarely use the laptop as I purchased it for when I need to travel and as backup in case something happens to my desktop.

It's been doing this flickering since I got it. It happened the first time I powered it up and has been happening every time after. At first I thought it was just a power issue because when I would use the laptop, it would be just on the fully charged battery. But I just noticed after using it connected to the power cord, it still flickers.

It has Windows 7 Home Premium installed - if that's helpful. I've updated the display drivers and that didn't help. So I'm not sure. Anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks in advance!

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: Screen flickering at startup...

hey Gemini,

try uninstalling the current graphic driver, let windows install its generic drivers.

shutdown your unit, restart after 5 mins and see if it still flickers.

also check if it happens when battery is remove but connected to power supply.

once done, reinstall the graphic drivers from http://support.lenovo.com

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
What's DOS?
Gemini

Hello Serge, thank you for your reply :smileyhappy:

I followed your instruction and when I uninstalled the graphic driver and let my system restart, I had a completely black LCD for about 20 minutes. The laptop was on and running, just I had no image on the LCD. I then did a hard shutdown because I couldn't see anything on the screen. When I powered my laptop back up, the image and flickering returned.

The flickering was constant this time, though - not just at startup - and it was difficult to read the screen through the flashes to finally install the graphic drivers, but I managed to. Once I installed them, it restarted my system - the flickering was still there at startup, but stopped once Windows loaded. So I'm back to the same issue as I started with - but it's better than the nonstop flashing it did after I uninstalled the drivers, lol

Before I did all of that, I did take out the battery and just ran the laptop on power supply - it still flickered.

There are no Lenovo repair centers near me, so I'm not sure what to do. I know my laptop is still under warranty, too.

Retired Employee
Serge1410

give our tech support a call, they should be able to offer you assistance and provide to you an authorized service center that is closer to home for you,

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.