Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
ausmike

Sl510 - Fingure Print Reader - Does NOT WORK at POWER ON

Hi everyone

I have a SL510 that I ordered as fully loaded machine for home use. While I love the ability to connect this laptop to the HDtv and play full 1080p files & music videos etc I have this NAGGING problem with the Finger print reader at Boot-Up (power on)

It wont  - does not work for POWER ON PASSWORD!! however ihe Fp reader will ask for a swipe at "windows" log in stage (( so I know FP READER HW works))

ALL of my other Thinkpad laptops  (T and W series_) will stop and ask for a finger swipe and you good to go - laptop boots up all the way to windows desktop! UNLIKE this SL , it would just wont work.

I have tired and double checked everything and updated BIOS and FP apps etc ....

Call to Lenovo Tech Support is/wasnt of any use; seems like am talking to pple who dont even know FP reader even sxits on SL!! and most frustrating ...is lack of their knowledge

IF someone here has a SL tp and would like to update BIOS and load the latest FP apps and test and see if the POWER ON  password option , does ask them to 'swipe' their fingure(s) and BOOTUP , I would really appreciate this help

thanks in advance

Mike

Thinkpads - W;X &T Series (work)
Home- T60p;T43p;T20
few others
GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

Re: Sl510 - Fingure Print Reader - Does NOT WORK at POWER ON

make sure fringerprint settings has a check in the box for use FP scan instead of power on password

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Blue Screen Again
ausmike

Hi Guru

Thanks for post; sorry have been travelling , and didnt get chance to read your reply(solutions)

FP reader is FULLY CONFIGURED , and I DOUBLE CHECKED and made sure of following:

BIOS does have tht check mark!!!

also checked

BIOS does refer to fp reader access at POW (power on passwrd)

FP reader data is active and current , and setup is correct

( i even checket with my other T& W series latpop side by side ) they all have same setup

SO ANY other solutions ?

I call it a possible BUG!

Thinkpads - W;X &T Series (work)
Home- T60p;T43p;T20
few others
Blue Screen Again
Keijo

Mika, I have the same issue you have, my SL 510 doesn't have Fingerprint POP capability and I'vve been trying to find it out somewhere. No luck so far.

Model: SL510 1947-4UY

OS: tried XP 32 bits, 7 32 bits and 7 x64, none of them gave me the chance to activate it.

BIOS upgrade didn't add the option, currently playing with 1.41

Tried every ThinkVantage Fingerprint software in all 3 OS flavors mentioned above, no sweet.

So, how do we go from here?

My good'ole T60 was so easy to configure and this one is new, powerful, mighty, cute, big screen and everything, but...

Regards,

K.

There's no such thing as "Security Made Simple". If it's simple, it's not secure, and if it's secure, then it's not simple.
Bit Torrent
Vince69

Hello mate,

The fingerprint in the SL510 can't turn on the computer. you have to turn it on with the power button. It works on the T and W series but the SL is an entry level ThinkPad and doesen't have the same features.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Maliha

[ Edited ]

Vince69 wrote:

Hello mate,

The fingerprint in the SL510 can't turn on the computer. you have to turn it on with the power button. It works on the T and W series but the SL is an entry level ThinkPad and doesen't have the same features.

That's not what the 'mate' is asking for :smileyhappy:, every ThinkPad turns on only with power button. There is a feature in other ThinkPad series where you can add Power on password to protect the system from being powered on by unauthorized person.

But I agree on this though that SL owners mostly don't get to enjoy same features as users of other ThinkPad series do, my SL400 was also missing few features, but this was to be expected with the price I paid, in mu view low cost of SL comes at a price of feature cuts...

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Blue Screen Again
Keijo

[ Edited ]

So, let me get this right, Maliha... the Power-On Password on the SL series can't be replaced with fingerprint logon, due to design concept, according to you, is that correct?

Moderator Note: Edited to correct my name :smileywink:

There's no such thing as "Security Made Simple". If it's simple, it's not secure, and if it's secure, then it's not simple.
Maliha

Keijo wrote:
So, let me get this right, Maliha... the Power-On Password on the SL series can't be replaced with fingerprint logon, due to design concept, according to you, is that correct?

Yes, that's correct, see this too:- http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/SL-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/SL400-Client-Security-Solution-functionality-...

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel

Bit Torrent
Vince69

Malia,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But the new T and W series can be turned on by using the fingerprint reader instead of the power button. And it's quite useful.

That's my aussie side to call everybody mate :smileywink: it's the way it works down under....

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Maliha

[ Edited ]

Vince69 wrote:

Maliha,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But the new T and W series can be turned on by using the fingerprint reader instead of the power button. And it's quite useful.

Wow, that's pretty awesome! Sorry I wasn't aware about this :smileysad:, however the poster was asking about different feature as I understand.

Vince69 wrote:

That's my aussie side to call everybody mate :smileywink: it's the way it works down under....

I'm aware :smileyhappy:, credit to pop culture, still can't forget Crocodile Dundee :smileytongue:

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel